Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Case 45766] System FTP users cannot authenticate in Pure-FTPd w/o cPanel account

Registered Member

Lightbulb [Case 45766] System FTP users cannot authenticate in Pure-FTPd w/o cPanel account

Hello community

I have been using /scripts/ftpupdate to update cPanels FTPD accounts for YEARS, really, but recently It is no longer adding users to its ftp config files.

1. Add a user using 'adduser', ie 'adduser ftptest'
    2. Set a password, 'passwd ftptest'
    3. Run the script from cPanel '/scripts/ftpupdate'
    4. Try to FTP, can you? We used to, not anymore!

I tried many steps including using cpanels adduser script - that didnt work either.

So I try something else

1. locate the user in the /etc/shadow file
    2. copy their full line
    3. paste it in /etc/proftpd/passwd.vhosts

I can then FTP no problem, great! But once 'ftpupdate' is ran BAM its gone!

What gives? Did cPanel really change? It looks that way to me, so how does one create a normal - adduser - account with FTP access these days?

Thank you for your assistance.

p.s

I tried: http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/can-we-c...ell-51910.html
    And: http://www.sysadminguide.com/cp/cpan...backend-shell/
    Last edited by gcphost; 01-17-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: adding refrence to what i did

cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst cPanelDon's Avatar
    cPanel/WHM Access Level

DataCenter Provider

Default re: [Case 45766] System FTP users cannot authenticate in Pure-FTPd w/o cPanel account

Are you using a distribution of Linux or FreeBSD, and what is the OS version?

What is your version of cPanel&WHM? It will help if you could please provide us with the output from the following command, entered via root SSH access:
    Code:
    # grep -H '' /usr/local/cpanel/version /var/cpanel/envtype
    Which FTP server software is being used? For example, are you using ProFTPD or Pure-FTPd? This can be found using the following command:
    Code:
    # /scripts/setupftpserver --current
    Is there difficulty using the normal cPanel interface to create and manage FTP accounts? I'm not aware of the "ftpupdate" script having use as an aid in FTP account creation; is there a reason why this script is being used in the manner described?

Registered Member

Default re: [Case 45766] System FTP users cannot authenticate in Pure-FTPd w/o cPanel account

is there a reason why this script is being used in the manner described?
    Users are manually created on the server using 'adduser' and those users need FTP access - the only way to get FTP access, in the past, on cPanel was to run the 'ftpupdate' script provided with the cPanel software.

I was under the impression ftpupdate was used to 'sync' the /etc/passwd accounts with the FTP file cPanel is using - in the past this was the case.

# grep -H '' /usr/local/cpanel/version /var/cpanel/envtype

/usr/local/cpanel/version:11.28.64-RELEASE_51024

/var/cpanel/envtype:standard
    # /scripts/setupftpserver --current

Current FTP server type: pure-ftpd
    OS is Centos 5.5 64bit

Are you able to do 'adduser' - add a user - and ftp to that user?

Question re: [Case 45766] System FTP users cannot authenticate in Pure-FTPd w/o cPanel account

I need the same thing, to add users with 'adduser' and FTP to those accounts. Please, no workarounds or alternatives. All CPanel accounts and FTP users are based on /home partition and I need FTP access to a different partition (/backup) and to a system folder (/usr/lib/php), so symlinks, hardlinks and cpanel user accounts do not work in this case.

I have the same WHM, Centos, and pure-ftp version as above. This worked for me until the last WHM updates, when this manually-added-accounts could no longer authenticate trough FTP.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by spamthishard View Post
    This worked for me until the last WHM updates, when this manually-added-accounts could no longer authenticate trough FTP.
    Same here - works for years until now, no workarounds is what I'd like to see too - ftpupdate should operate like it always has if you ask me.

Why has this changed? I don't want cPanel to completely dominate my server. I like the panel and all, but I like to do other things that doesn't involve using cPanel/WHM too!

cPanel/WHM Access Level

DataCenter Provider

Quote Originally Posted by gcphost View Post
    Users are manually created on the server using 'adduser' and those users need FTP access - the only way to get FTP access, in the past, on cPanel was to run the 'ftpupdate' script provided with the cPanel software.

I was under the impression ftpupdate was used to 'sync' the /etc/passwd accounts with the FTP file cPanel is using - in the past this was the case.

Are you able to do 'adduser' - add a user - and ftp to that user?
    I believe the system user must be a normal cPanel account and not just any system user. If cPanel is not working as expected, please either submit a support request for in-depth assistance or submit a detailed bug report.

Is there any difficulty using cPanel to create and manage FTP accounts?

cPanel/WHM Access Level

DataCenter Provider

I need the same thing, to add users with 'adduser' and FTP to those accounts. Please, no workarounds or alternatives. All CPanel accounts and FTP users are based on /home partition and I need FTP access to a different partition (/backup) and to a system folder (/usr/lib/php), so symlinks, hardlinks and cpanel user accounts do not work in this case.

I have the same WHM, Centos, and pure-ftp version as above. This worked for me until the last WHM updates, when this manually-added-accounts could no longer authenticate trough FTP.
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenAreas View Post
    Same here - works for years until now, no workarounds is what I'd like to see too - ftpupdate should operate like it always has if you ask me.

Why has this changed? I don't want cPanel to completely dominate my server. I like the panel and all, but I like to do other things that doesn't involve using cPanel/WHM too!
    I'm not sure that I understand; are you expecting non-cPanel system accounts to be managed by cPanel? If you want to use cPanel to setup and manage arbitrary FTP users that are not associated with a cPanel account I would consider submitting a feature request.

cPanel/WHM Access Level

DataCenter Provider

spamthishard, what is your cPanel&WHM version number?

OpenAreas, what is your cPanel&WHM version number?

Arrow re: [Case 45766] System FTP users cannot authenticate in Pure-FTPd w/o cPanel account

I already stated that versions are exactly as the ones posted above by gcphost.
    I do expect that CPANEL will not modify the default behavior of pureftpd (with unix authentication on) and if it dose, at least to have the decency to emulate that functionality like it did until recently, before the last updates.

For my needs I managed to find an ugly workaround by creating a cpanel ftp acoount under some random user account, then replacing (as root via SSH) it`s directory with a symlink to my directory.

Registered Member

cPanel used to do this just fine - add a linux user - run ftpupdate - it would add them to the ftpd files .

I'm lost why we need to request a feature as this was working exactly like that for the last 5+ years or so since I first found the ftpupdate script fixed the adduser issue.

And yes I do expect a ftp on port 21 to read system users on Linux, this is the standard for 20+ years.

Registered Member

I also stated "Same here" to the above posts. Please be careful on reads.

I'm have pretty much the same problem and i'm fathomed as to why it's stopped working after YEARS of it being how it is.

cPanel/WHM Access Level

DataCenter Provider

I already stated that versions are exactly as the ones posted above by gcphost.
    I do expect that CPANEL will not modify the default behavior of pureftpd (with unix authentication on) and if it dose, at least to have the decency to emulate that functionality like it did until recently, before the last updates.

For my needs I managed to find an ugly workaround by creating a cpanel ftp acoount under some random user account, then replacing (as root via SSH) it`s directory with a symlink to my directory.
    Quote Originally Posted by gcphost View Post
    cPanel used to do this just fine - add a linux user - run ftpupdate - it would add them to the ftpd files .

I'm lost why we need to request a feature as this was working exactly like that for the last 5+ years or so since I first found the ftpupdate script fixed the adduser issue.

And yes I do expect a ftp on port 21 to read system users on Linux, this is the standard for 20+ years.
    I apologize for the difficulty. I was able to reproduce the problem; for testing I enabled UnixAuthentication in Pure-FTPd and then restarted the FTP daemon, but I was still unable to successfully login via FTP using a manually-created system user.

While researching I found we have an internal case open for tracking the issue and we are actively working on a resolution; for your reference this issue was assigned to case 45766. The official change log for cPanel & WHM can be used to track and confirm when the issue is corrected and in which version. When resolved, it is my understanding that the bug-fix will be made available in a maintenance update for cPanel & WHM version 11.28.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by cPanelDon View Post
    I apologize for the difficulty. I was able to reproduce the problem; for testing I enabled UnixAuthentication in Pure-FTPd and then restarted the FTP daemon, but I was still unable to successfully login via FTP using a manually-created system user.

While researching I found we have an internal case open for tracking the issue and we are actively working on a resolution; for your reference this issue was assigned to case 45766. The official change log for cPanel & WHM can be used to track and confirm when the issue is corrected and in which version. When resolved, it is my understanding that the bug-fix will be made available in a maintenance update for cPanel & WHM version 11.28.
    Right, well most of us are running businesses. One is of course using a custom application, that app makes an FTP user. But clients are unable to use their FTP account. How long are we looking for a turn around on this?

cPanel/WHM Access Level

DataCenter Provider

Default Re: [Case 45766] System FTP users cannot authenticate in Pure-FTPd w/o cPanel account

Quote Originally Posted by OpenAreas View Post
    Right, well most of us are running businesses. One is of course using a custom application, that app makes an FTP user. But clients are unable to use their FTP account. How long are we looking for a turn around on this?
    It is my understanding the issue is scheduled to be resolved in an upcoming maintenance release for cPanel 11.28. As of this evening I confirm development has a possible solution that is now queued for further review and testing by Quality Assurance. If any new status information arises I will ensure this thread is updated, though right now I do not have any other news available.

Registered Member

Default Re: [Case 45766] System FTP users cannot authenticate in Pure-FTPd w/o cPanel account

I hate to be a bit harsh. But I've been trying to fix this since Friday... not knowing it was a cPanel issue until today. So a release today or tomorrow by the latest is much needed and I prompt you for this.

Every minute is a potential loss of earnings because of this bug. I appreciate you can't give an exact time, but you're being pretty vague. For all I know, it could take weeks yet; which quite frankly wouldn't be good enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast