Thread: Securing a WHM server

cPanel/WHM Access Level

Root Administrator

Default Securing a WHM server

Hi,

I've been asked to take over a Linux server that runs WHM and cPanel, and I was wondering about what limitations I have when securing it.

Can I login via SSH, change ports, add/update users and keys, install applications (such as fail2ban, knockd, Tripwire, etc) and not interfere with cPanel and WHM? When they update, will they interfere with my installs (eg. revert back to default settings)?

If there is no interference, that's excellent, and if so, another question.
    Has anyone managed to install and configure Snort to run alongside WHM? Any problems? Are there any guides out there that would help me?

Thanks for any help that can be given!

Simon

Registered Member
    cPanel/WHM Access Level

Root Administrator

Default Re: Securing a WHM server

Quote Originally Posted by FlunkyDunky View Post
    Hi,

I've been asked to take over a Linux server that runs WHM and cPanel, and I was wondering about what limitations I have when securing it.

Can I login via SSH, change ports, add/update users and keys, install applications (such as fail2ban, knockd, Tripwire, etc) and not interfere with cPanel and WHM? When they update, will they interfere with my installs (eg. revert back to default settings)?

If there is no interference, that's excellent, and if so, another question.
    Has anyone managed to install and configure Snort to run alongside WHM? Any problems? Are there any guides out there that would help me?

Thanks for any help that can be given!

Simon
    I found these on another forum

Chkrootkit Automatic Script Installer
    RKHunter Automatic Script Installer

Registered Member
    cPanel/WHM Access Level

Root Administrator

Default Re: Securing a WHM server

If you are getting full access over the server i.e. root login details then you can install any software you like. You have mentioned many applications but i would not suggest to install on one system. Usually these application requires a lot of memory when they scan your system. You have to choose one and get it installed. Also before taking over the server, make sure you know what you are doing especially while performing security tasks otherwise you will end up either blocking yourself or any other damage to the server.

You can check this thread.

Securing cPanel - WHM

- - - Updated - - -

If you are getting full access over the server i.e. root login details then you can install any software you like. You have mentioned many applications but i would not suggest to install on one system. Usually these application requires a lot of memory when they scan your system. You have to choose one and get it installed. Also before taking over the server, make sure you know what you are doing especially while performing security tasks otherwise you will end up either blocking yourself or any other damage to the server.

You can check this thread.

http://forums.cpanel.net/f34/securing-cpanel-whm-84677.html
    TronicHost.com : Offshore Web Hosting Provider
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated Servers, Netherlands data center