Thread: Can I create exim email accounts manually?

Registered Member

Default Can I create exim email accounts manually?

We need to create a number of email accounts from a list of already existing logins and passwords. In other words people are migrating from other mail server and do not want to change their mail client parameters (logins, passwords, POP/SMTP servers). Logins are totally different from Usernames, and naturally different from cpanels standard user naming - user@domain. Is this task accomplishable, either trough cpanel or right from console? Where do I have to search? Where do I have to start? I do not have any experience with exim.

Any help or advice appreciated

Registered Member This forum account has been confirmed by cPanel staff to represent a vendor. chirpy's Avatar

You're probably going to have difficulty doing that as courier-imap (the default pop3/imap daemon) is configured to use the cPanel authentication method where user credentials are held in /home/username/etc/domain.com/passwd using the username@domain.com method.
    Jonathan Michaelson

cPanel Server Configuration, Security and Antivirus/AntiSpam Services
    http://www.configserver.com

Registered Member

No way to reconfigure it??

Registered Member

there probably is a way to reconfigure it, but it probably would not be worth maintaining that reconfiguration against cpanel updates.

It would be better in the long run to do it manually now

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by norelidd View Post
    It would be better in the long run to do it manually now
    So do you mean it can be done, or it can't be. I think I misunderstood yor last statement.

Registered Member

You can use /scripts/addpop to add email accounts from the command line. They will login with the default mail server in the domain's dns zone and the username and password supplied to the script.

Registered Member

Thank you for your answer!

But what if I have multiple domains hosted on the same server, let's say one of the domains is sally.com and I want to create an account bob@sally.com, with username - "dillan" and password "bobby"?

Note the difference in username, login and cPanels way to identify mail users?

Is it accomplishable?
    Last edited by ArbuZz; 04-28-2007 at 06:12 AM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArbuZz View Post
    Thank you for your answer!

But what if I have multiple domains hosted on the same server, let's say one of the domains is sally.com and I want to create an account bob@sally.com, with username - "dillan" and password "bobby"?

Note the difference in username, login and cPanels way to identify mail users?

Is it accomplishable?
    NO..

bob@sally.com is the USER "bob" which is stored in the password file:
    /home/sally/etc/sally.com/passwd

exim, to differentiate this 'bob' from the system user 'bob' (perhaps representing bob.com's hosting account) or from another domains 'bob' (perhaps bob@someotherdomain.com), it needs the @domain.com to know which password file to authenticate against.

So, you *could* have "dillan@sally.com" as a user, and then have "bob@sally.com" forward to "dillan@sally.com"

then, the dillan person would have a single mailbox, but could potentially receive email to "bob@sally.com" and "dillan@sally.com" and would login using "dillan@sally.com" passowrd "bobby".

in this case, "bob@sally.com" is NOT a valid username, because it's not a mailbox, it's just a forward.
    Last edited by freedman; 11-13-2007 at 02:08 AM.

Registered Member
    cPanel/WHM Access Level

Root Administrator

How would I import a list of email accounts + passwords, from an excel spreadsheet?
    • cPanel :: Fantastico :: RVSkin :: WHM :: ModernBill
    • Reseller Hosting :: SSL Certificates :: Domain Registrations :: Affiliate Program
    • Blog Hosting :: CMS Hosting :: Forum Hosting :: E-Commerce Hosting

SoftDux- The Leaders in Software
    Use the coupon: cpanel-06 to get 20% off our packages

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by SoftDux View Post
    How would I import a list of email accounts + passwords, from an excel spreadsheet?
    /scripts/addpop

it takes 2 arguments, the full email address and the password.

it will figure out which account owns it and what domain it goes to and add it for you.

if you're adding a whole bunch of them, you'll get faster results by modifying the script and enumerate the last bit of code over your list, otherwise, the addpop script will spend a lot of time figuring out who owns the domain for every item on the list.

Registered Member
    cPanel/WHM Access Level

Root Administrator

Ok, that script literally only takes info from the commandline, how do I use it, to loop through a list with 500+ entries, in the format of "user1@domain.com" in the first colum & "password1" in the second column?

All users will belong to one domain only, and the passwords are all different, but already assigned on the client's current network.
    • cPanel :: Fantastico :: RVSkin :: WHM :: ModernBill
    • Reseller Hosting :: SSL Certificates :: Domain Registrations :: Affiliate Program
    • Blog Hosting :: CMS Hosting :: Forum Hosting :: E-Commerce Hosting

SoftDux- The Leaders in Software
    Use the coupon: cpanel-06 to get 20% off our packages

Registered Member This forum account has been confirmed by cPanel staff to represent a vendor.
    cPanel Partner NOC Badge

For this to work your database delimiter needs to be a comma (,)... for example..

user1@domain1.com,mypass1
    user2@domain2.com,mypass2
    user3@domain3.com,mypass3

while IFS=, read email pass;do /scripts/addpop $email $pass;done < emaildb.csv
    Shaun Reitan
    NDCHost.com - cPlicensing.net - ProVPS.com
    Contact us for your cPanel Licensing needs! We Price Match, We provide Support, We take care of our customers!

Registered Member This forum account has been confirmed by cPanel staff to represent a vendor.
    cPanel Partner NOC Badge

oh, ya if your db's delimiter is just a space just change the begginig to

while read email pass;
    Shaun Reitan
    NDCHost.com - cPlicensing.net - ProVPS.com
    Contact us for your cPanel Licensing needs! We Price Match, We provide Support, We take care of our customers!