Thread: change email size limit

Exclamation change email size limit

Hello,

- whats the default maximum message size limit on cpanel

- and where do i go to change it?

- can i change that limit on a site basis or must it be general to all sites?
    Last edited by soupn; 04-07-2006 at 03:47 PM.

Registered Member This forum account has been confirmed by cPanel staff to represent a vendor. chirpy's Avatar

There is no default email size limit in exim. If you want to set one you can do so serverwide with:
    http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.50/d...14.html#IX1279

There's an exim FAQ entry for per address filtering, though you could change that to per domain easily enough:
    http://www.exim.org/eximwiki/FAQ/Pol...9%7C%28size%29
    Jonathan Michaelson

cPanel Server Configuration, Security and Antivirus/AntiSpam Services
    http://www.configserver.com

Registered Member

Check the answer to your post in my forums heh
    http://www.webhostgear.com/forums/sh...=1954#post1954
    Upload Guardian 2.0 - Sign up for our early beta
    ServerProgress - Server security, consulting and assistance

thks for your response.

so all domains can send, for example, email messages with 10, 20 30mb? it all depends on the server of the recipient?

i dont want to set any limit, i just have a custumer that want to send emails with 10,2 or 30mb in attachs. just want to know if it is possible.

Registered Member This forum account has been confirmed by cPanel staff to represent a vendor. chirpy's Avatar

They can do so, yes. If they're to receive such huge emails, then they would need to ensure that they have sufficient mailbox and/or account disk quota available.

Do bear in mind that email was never designed for such huge emails, though. All email has to be sent in plain-text, so a 30GB binary attachment bust first be converted into BASE64 which can inflate the size of the actual email from 30GB to anywhere over 100GB or more. This could cause serious performance overheads on your server and could easily lead to timeouts (as there's no retry feature in SMTP) while the client sends the email. For such huge files, FTP or allowing download from their site with a link in an email is a much better solution.
    Jonathan Michaelson

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chirpy
    They can do so, yes. If they're to receive such huge emails, then they would need to ensure that they have sufficient mailbox and/or account disk quota available.

Do bear in mind that email was never designed for such huge emails, though. All email has to be sent in plain-text, so a 30GB binary attachment bust first be converted into BASE64 which can inflate the size of the actual email from 30GB to anywhere over 100GB or more. This could cause serious performance overheads on your server and could easily lead to timeouts (as there's no retry feature in SMTP) while the client sends the email. For such huge files, FTP or allowing download from their site with a link in an email is a much better solution.
    What do you think is a reasonable but generous limit? 10M? 20M? 30M? We've had a few issues recently where 20M-35M incoming emails were causing havoc, so I'm thinking that 20M is a very generous maximum.

Any other opinions?
    • Web Design Perth .:. Itomic Business Website Solutions of Perth, Western Australia

If you want to protect the performance of the server I would suggest the lower limit of your suggestions. If users are sending through anything bigger, they should be using some other method (i.e. FTP) to transfer such huge files. SMTP was never designed for such huge attachments.
    Jonathan Michaelson

NT
    Registered Member

Thanks for the advice, Chirpy - I've added a 10MB file limit to my exim configuration now
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NT View Post
    Thanks for the advice, Chirpy - I've added a 10MB file limit to my exim configuration now
    where did you sent your file attachment limit in the exim config file and what is the syntax to do this?

thx's
    Mickalo

Thunder Rain Internet Publishing

Providing Internet Solutions that work!
    Custom Perl and Database Programming