Thread: Email Port numbers and Outgoing Mail account?

Default Email Port numbers and Outgoing Mail account?

I have recently signed up to host my website with a company that uses cPanel. I haven't been able to get a hold of anyone there (looks like a scam) since I signed with them 3 weeks ago. I love the interface of cPanel but the instructions suck. I have the following problem related to my email:

Can't get email - I tried the autoconfig of Outlook and this did not work. Much to my chagrin cPanel's instructions don't tell you how to set it up manually. I have configured many a POP3 account so I wasn't worried about doing it on my own but it would be nice to know what ports are used for incoming and outgoing mail.

I set the incoming and outgoing mail servers to mail.mydomain.com as it states. Using the standard 110 and 25 as my port numbers I can receive email but can not send. I have multiple email accounts through other domains and their respective mail servers configured to work on this exact same machine using a port number other than 25 for SMTP. What I mean is I do not have to use my ISP's outgoing mail server (smtp.west.cox.net) on these other domains but I don't use port 25.

How can I fix this problem?

Registered Member

As you state, you have multiple email accounts through other domains and their respective mail servers configured to work on this exact same machine using a port number other than 25 for SMTP. (which would suggest cox.net does not allow clients to relay through the default of port 25).

I would try changing the smtp port in Outlook to 587 or 26 and see if either of those work as they are fairly common alternatives. If not, you'll have to contact your new hosting company to find out what port they've defined for this purpose (it could be any number).

Hope this helps.

Registered Member

This isn't a cPanel problem. Port 25, the standard port for outgoing email, is blocked by many ISPs (including Cox) so that they will have an easier time tracking, terminating, and potentially prosecuting people who spam using their network.

Some web hosts have email configured to run on more than just the industry-standard port 25 because of this very issue. However, not all do; and not all will configure mail to use the same nonstandard port number. You need to contact your web host and ask them:
    1) if they have mail configured on another port besides 25; and if so
    2) which port number

Registered Member

Smile hi

Hello

pls select my server requires authetication in ur oulook express.

Regards
    Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by taltbaum
    I have recently signed up to host my website with a company that uses cPanel. I haven't been able to get a hold of anyone there (looks like a scam) since I signed with them 3 weeks ago. I love the interface of cPanel but the instructions suck. I have the following problem related to my email:

Can't get email - I tried the autoconfig of Outlook and this did not work. Much to my chagrin cPanel's instructions don't tell you how to set it up manually. I have configured many a POP3 account so I wasn't worried about doing it on my own but it would be nice to know what ports are used for incoming and outgoing mail.

I set the incoming and outgoing mail servers to mail.mydomain.com as it states. Using the standard 110 and 25 as my port numbers I can receive email but can not send. I have multiple email accounts through other domains and their respective mail servers configured to work on this exact same machine using a port number other than 25 for SMTP. What I mean is I do not have to use my ISP's outgoing mail server (smtp.west.cox.net) on these other domains but I don't use port 25.

How can I fix this problem?

Registered Member cPanel Partner NOC Badge AndyReed's Avatar

Just in case you guys need to know about TCP and UDP ports on your server and what they mean, go to our Web site: Knowledge Base and find Port Knowledgebase: www.servertune.com/kbase/
    Andy Reed
    CCNA, RHCE, and Ubuntu Technologist
    ServerTune.com

Registered Member

I to have cox and had the same problem.

I just set Exim to run on port 2525, confirmed that port was listening by running netstat -an and then I had to allow that port to run in the server firewall by editing the conf.apf file in /etc/apf.

You need to have root access to edit the conf.apf file.

Works like a champ now!!!