Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 403 Error on website

  1. #1
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    8
    cPanel/WHM Access Level

    Website Owner

    Default 403 Error on website

    I have tried to create a sub domain for my company's website. Sine I'm not professional in IT so I just copy-cat what so. did before. I copied files in another folder (for my main website) to my own-created folder. I tried the website and it had 403 error:

    "Forbidden

    You don't have permission to access / on this server.

    Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

    Can so. tell me why this happened? Is there a problem with my code files (I use php) or with my own-created folder? Thanks a ton!

  2. #2
    cPanel Product Evangelist Infopro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,378
    cPanel/WHM Access Level

    Root Administrator

    Default Re: 403 Error on website

    This and your other question, are really better asked of your host. They can teach you many things about your account.

    Short of that: When you access your main domain.com via your browser you're actually visiting the public_html directory.
    When you create a sub.domain.com you do not create the directory itself, the system does it for you when you actually create a sub domain from within cPanel interface.
    cPanel > Domains section > Subdomains.

    With the sub domain created from there in cPanel, lets say you called it tama.yourdomain.com, to access that directory to place your files for the website, lets say you're using the cPanel File Manager to upload files, you'll be uploading your files to this directory:
    /public_html/tama/

    Now when you visit tama/yourdomain.com you'll see the new site on the subdomain as expected.

    HTH!
    WHMCS Technical Analyst Position Available
    Houston, TX.
    Apply Today!


    Register Now for cPanel Conference!
    Sep 29 - Oct 1, 2014, Houston, Texas
    http://conference.cpanel.net/

  3. #3
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    8
    cPanel/WHM Access Level

    Website Owner

    Default Re: 403 Error on website

    Thanks for replying. I actually followed the same direction (creating a subdomain first, then uploading files to the folder) but it doesn't work. Is there any other explanation for this problem?

  4. #4
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    998
    cPanel/WHM Access Level

    Root Administrator

    Default Re: 403 Error on website

    Quote Originally Posted by tama88 View Post
    "Forbidden

    You don't have permission to access / on this server.

    Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."
    Very often 403 errors come from mod_security rule.
    And whatever the reason is for those errors, the best place to contact is your host. They are able to see the logs and most likely are able to tell you exactly what is causing the errors.

  5. #5
    cPanel Product Evangelist Infopro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,378
    cPanel/WHM Access Level

    Root Administrator

    Default Re: 403 Error on website

    Quote Originally Posted by tama88 View Post
    Thanks for replying. I actually followed the same direction (creating a subdomain first, then uploading files to the folder) but it doesn't work. Is there any other explanation for this problem?
    Sure, its just a matter of finding out whats going on before it can be explained. Lets start small:
    Create a new text file, in it, type HELLO WORLD! and save that file as index.html to your desktop. Next upload it into that sub domain you created. Then, open the sub domain URL: tama.yourdomain.com

    Does it say HELLO WORLD! or no? If no, what do you see exactly?

    In your cPanel, find the Error Log icon and click. See any new errors listed there that say something having to do with this new index.html you just uploaded and tried to access? If yes, what exactly does the log say?
    WHMCS Technical Analyst Position Available
    Houston, TX.
    Apply Today!


    Register Now for cPanel Conference!
    Sep 29 - Oct 1, 2014, Houston, Texas
    http://conference.cpanel.net/

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1
    cPanel/WHM Access Level

    Website Owner

    Default Re: 403 Error on website

    Quote Originally Posted by Infopro View Post
    Sure, its just a matter of finding out whats going on before it can be explained. Lets start small:
    Create a new text file, in it, type HELLO WORLD! and save that file as index.html to your desktop. Next upload it into that sub domain you created. Then, open the sub domain URL: tama.yourdomain.com

    Does it say HELLO WORLD! or no? If no, what do you see exactly?

    In your cPanel, find the Error Log icon and click. See any new errors listed there that say something having to do with this new index.html you just uploaded and tried to access? If yes, what exactly does the log say?
    i wrote hello world and it comes out,
    but when i put another index file doesnt' work....
    i have other subdomain and all works good,
    but maybe is the template not good?

    thank you

  7. #7
    cPanel Product Evangelist Infopro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,378
    cPanel/WHM Access Level

    Root Administrator

    Default Re: 403 Error on website

    Could be. Have you asked your Hosting Provider to assist you?

Similar Threads

  1. 403 Forbidden Error on website
    By naqash in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-08-2011, 07:12 PM
  2. 403 Forbidden Error / 500 Internal Server Error
    By saurabhnsonar in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-29-2010, 08:45 AM
  3. 404 & 403; No Website!
    By 247ursites in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-06-2003, 08:51 PM
  4. My website is giving everyone a 403 & 404 Error page!
    By 247ursites in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-30-2003, 05:08 PM
  5. HELP!! HELP!! 403 error
    By AbeFroman in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-29-2002, 06:18 AM
bargain