Thread: Compression?

Registered Member

Arrow Compression?

On search engines, I've seen most tech guys say for optimizing websites via cPanel, one should use the Option 3: Compress MIME Types, not the Option 2: Compress All, because "...compressing all website content can make webpage images show irregularly..."

Is the Option 3 really good or better?

After selecting and using the Option 3: Compress MIME Types, I've found very often there are some images that load very slowly and finally can not show up on some of my webpages that have more than 10 images.

Previously, I used the Option 2: Compress All including images, js and all others---I saw almost all images were loading normally/faster and all images were able to show up on my webpages finally.

What do you think?

Do I need to re-use the Option 2: Compress All. Any big potential disadvantage for using the "Compress All" option?

Other questions: I have already enabled Zlib compression via root to Apache files, can I enable the cPanel Optimize Website features that are based on Gzip compression, at the same time? Any conflicts between Zlib and Gzip?

The two compression methods have their own disadvantages in several situations. If using only one of the two compression methods, generally speaking, which compression is better, Zlib or Gzip? (I have tested using the two compression methods together, and I've found there are almost no differences as for the website performances, compared with using only either Zlib compression or Gzip compression. Maybe there are some differences but I've not found yet)

Thank you very much for any advice/tip!

Last edited by virtualreality; 05-15-2010 at 11:37 PM.

Registered Member

Any response and idea please?

Since the current eAccelerator version if enabled on cPanel 25 has caused high server load and spiked ram usage, the Gzip compression or Zlib compression is one of the available excellent ways to reduce the server ram usage and fasten the swebpages' loading.

PS: Why does the current eAccelerator version added to cPanel 25 cause high server load and high ram usage??? I used the previous version of eAccelerator on cPanel 24, found the server load was not so high and the ram usage was not so much, and the previous eAccelerator did accelerate the webapges loading to an obvious extent.

Registered Member

Hi cPanel Friends,

How do you use compression, if you use one?

Thank you very much!

cPanel Product Evangelist Infopro's Avatar
    cPanel Access Level

Root Administrator

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by virtualreality View Post
    On search engines, I've seen most tech guys say for optimizing websites via cPanel, one should use the Option 3: Compress MIME Types, not the Option 2: Compress All, because "...compressing all website content can make webpage images show irregularly..."

Is the Option 3 really good or better?

After selecting and using the Option 3: Compress MIME Types, I've found very often there are some images that load very slowly and finally can not show up on some of my webpages that have more than 10 images.

Previously, I used the Option 2: Compress All including images, js and all others---I saw almost all images were loading normally/faster and all images were able to show up on my webpages finally.

What do you think?

Do I need to re-use the Option 2: Compress All. Any big potential disadvantage for using the "Compress All" option?
    I think you answered your own question.
    Images can be compressed some, but text/code can be compressed much more. I've seen problems attempting to dowload large (compressed) files if Compress All was checked.

Other questions: I have already enabled Zlib compression via root to Apache files, can I enable the cPanel Optimize Website features that are based on Gzip compression, at the same time? Any conflicts between Zlib and Gzip?

The two compression methods have their own disadvantages in several situations. If using only one of the two compression methods, generally speaking, which compression is better, Zlib or Gzip? (I have tested using the two compression methods together, and I've found there are almost no differences as for the website performances, compared with using only either Zlib compression or Gzip compression. Maybe there are some differences but I've not found yet)

Thank you very much for any advice/tip!

Sounds like you've answered your own question again with proper testing and have results to work with.

Here's some more reading for you that might be useful:

zlib is a software library used for data compression.
    gzip is a software application used for file compression

Registered Member

How do you use compression, if you use one?
    I would go with Gzip for http compression without compressing the images. That does load things faster. You can verify the compression of the individual pages at:

WhatsMyIP.org HTTP Compression Test

Registered Member

Hi Infopro and madaboutlinux,

Thank you very much for you helpful response!