Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: enable/disable demo mode?

BANNED

Default enable/disable demo mode?

What is the absolute purpose of enabling/disabling demo mode for an account in WHM? I have an account I setup for control panel demo (I used demo.com) and provided a username/password simply "demo" and "demo" but is there another reason to have the demo mode enabled?

Registered Member This forum account has been confirmed by cPanel staff to represent a vendor. chirpy's Avatar

Not that I know of.
    Jonathan Michaelson

cPanel Server Configuration, Security and Antivirus/AntiSpam Services
    http://www.configserver.com

BANNED

anyone else know?

Registered Member

Know what? The *absolute* purpose?

Use you imagination and come up with new ideas.

It is there so you can give people a "tour" or DEMOnstration of the kind of GUI based configuration they can expect once they sign up for an account.

Maybe you want to use it for training purposes?

Use it as wallpaper?

BANNED

Originally posted by SarcNBit

It is there so you can give people a "tour" or DEMOnstration of the kind of GUI based configuration they can expect once they sign up for an account.

Use it as wallpaper?
    Swallow your sarcasm and re-read my first post. I specifically said I already setup an account with username/password demo. I even enabled the account to demo mode and found no difference at all. How's that sound to you mr.perfect?

Registered Member

Originally posted by chadi
    I specifically said I already setup an account with username/password demo. I even enabled the account to demo mode and found no difference at all.
    So you are saying that setting up an account with a username and password of demo/demo apparently automatically places the account in demo mode? If that is true (I have not tried it), that is a feature I was unaware of (How's that for perfect?).

If that is what it is doing then I imagine that they are simply using logic within the account creation script to check the name and flag the account. I will have to look for this. In that case there would in fact be no difference (other than account names) between named demo/demo accounts and flagged as demo accounts.

Looking past coonfirmation of that logic, feel free to weigh in with any other uses you can come up with for demo accounts.

BANNED

If you cannot reply a post with sensitivity and politeness don't respond at all. You lack that logic for sure.

Registered Member This forum account has been confirmed by cPanel staff to represent a vendor. chirpy's Avatar

chadi,

It's sarcasm, not a personal attack on you.

You have to admit that asking a question about what's the reason for having a demo account, is somewhat funny. The obvious, and pretty much only, answer that's going to pop into most peoples mind is "erm, it's for a demo account, to demonstrate cPanel".

I don't think there's any hidden agenda behind a demo account.
    Jonathan Michaelson

cPanel Server Configuration, Security and Antivirus/AntiSpam Services
    http://www.configserver.com

BANNED

The reason I asked that is because I tested it in enabled and disabled mode and found no difference at all. That's the question "why" here.

Registered Member

If you cannot reply a post with sensitivity and politeness don't respond at all. You lack that logic for sure.
    I misunderstood the intent of your original question until you further explained it in your reply to me. I then posted a very polite reply (sorry you are on your own for the sensitivity pal) and was at some point this evening going to followup with my findings.

I can only assume that english is not your primary language and that you are severly misinterpreting my replies.

Take a few deep breaths and try not to insult people going out of their way to help you.

BANNED

Originally posted by SarcNBit

Use it as wallpaper?
    Take a look again at your FIRST post. Your insults were not necessary. I speak English very well for your information. Telling me to use my imagination to come up with new ideas doesn't answer my question.

Registered Member

Not to enter into the scrap going on in this thread, but could anyone explain the security behind the demo accounts. It was an issue I used to hear a lot about.....having a demo was a severe security risk. Is that still the case or has it been successfully hardened?

Registered Member

I speak English very well for your information.
    Fair enough. I am sure that what you wrote in your first reply made perfect sense to you when you wrote it. It was not very clear to me (I cannot speak for anyone else). It became clear to me what you were saying only after you further explained your question in your first reply to me.

Being defensive in not going to help you get the answers you seek. Telling you to use your imagination was humor. Calling you names and telling you that you lack logic would have been insulting.

I did a check test and did not experience the same results as you. I was able to use demo/demo as a username and password without having the account in demo mode. Looking through wwwacct, the only username restrictions that are clear to me are prohibitions on:

test*
    >8 characters
    begining with a number
    containing a dash
    containing an underscore
    beginning with a dot

I did not see anything that would lead me to believe that demo as a username automatically forces an account to demo mode. Granted, with your attitude I did not check very hard, but I wanted to see if such an instruction existed for myself (and more appreciative members of this forum).

What I would like to know (and it might answer the question in the last post as well) is what script gets executed when you place an account in demo mode. I did not take the time to follow up on that one (I was being lazy again chirpy ).

Moderator cPanel Partner NOC Badge dgbaker's Avatar

I can answer parts of this.

Code:
    http://server.domain.com:2086/scripts/dodemoacct?user=userid&act=Enable
    This is how an account gets in demo mode. The dodemoacct script though is part of the whm binaries and cannot be accessed.

Demo mode is exactly the same as a real account with only a few minor exceptions, the biggest one is not being able to create files. You can though still create databases and such.

(not to be a plug but) this is one of the reasons we started cpaneldemos.com

Hope this helps clear some things up.
    Regards,
    David
    Forum Moderator

Registered Member

Originally posted by dgbaker
    The dodemoacct script though is part of the whm binaries and cannot be accessed.
    Thank you. You saved me a few empty follicles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast