Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: multiple users on one account?

Registered Member

Default multiple users on one account?

Hello, I am wondering if there is a way to set up more than one username and password for the same account?

Thanks,

Bob

Registered Member This forum account has been confirmed by cPanel staff to represent a vendor. chirpy's Avatar

If you mean to login to the cPanel account, then no. You can of course create multiple FTP accounts if it's purely for access to the user data, but other than that, nope.
    Jonathan Michaelson

cPanel Server Configuration, Security and Antivirus/AntiSpam Services
    http://www.configserver.com

Registered Member

If I understand what you mean, I agree that this would be a useful feature.

For example. a customer could buy an account with me and have his "admin" cpanel with all the features. Then he could create sub-users for cPanel and assign them different features. For example he could have a mail admin user, a file admin user, a database admin, etc...

I know before I started actually hosting and I was just a customer using cPanel that I didnt like giving my developers full access, but preferred to try and give them sub access.

Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.

Kgordon, that is what I am talking about. Also, I would like a way to maintain admin access to all Cpanel accounts without having to keep track of each users login info... I use my own formula for logging in and it is easy for me to remember. If account owners want different login info and we are managing the site cooperatively I have to keep track of other logins.

Is there a superadmin login for all Cpanel accounts associated with a WHM install? That would also do the trick for me.

b

Registered Member This forum account has been confirmed by cPanel staff to represent a vendor. chirpy's Avatar

You can do this two ways:

1. In WHM > List accounts > click on the cPanel logo icon and it will automatically log you into a users cPanel

2. Login yourself into cPanel using the account name, but the root password.
    Jonathan Michaelson

Registered Member

Thanks very much Chirpy.

Now if only I could set things up so that when i go in through WHM i see the full Cpanel and when the account person goes in they see just the xmail skin...

bob

Registered Member

However, logging in as root does not allow access to certain features, i.e. phpmyadmin, Fantastico to name a few. You get a warning message and are denied access as root.

Unless someone knows a work-around???
    Lloyd F Tennison

Registered Member

Personally I dont mind not being able to access PHPAdmin and Fantastico as root.

You can access PHPMyAdmin from WHM.

I dont know if people have different Ideas then me, but this is specifically what I would like to see..

Users main account : user123

user123 logs into cPanel and creates user123_bob and user123_mike

Now both user123_bob and user123_mike have access to cPanel. But, user123_bob can only access email & ftp related functions. user123_mike can only access statistical information.

The users account would have Three sub accounts in cPanel, NOT WHM.
    -user123 - main account, full access
    -user123_bob - email & ftp access only
    -user123_mike- statistical information

That would make cPanel more functional for the endusers so they can delegate tasks to different people within their own organization.

Registered Member

Default 100% agree

Delegation is a good way to put it. I often find it disheartening that folks are so easily overwhelmed by the options (including myself) - but we do not always do this work to make a buck and stay competitive. It is particularly important for non-profit type groups to be able to delegate to where interests and aptitude exist, without requiring the volunteers et al to choke down the full enchilada.

bob

Quote Originally Posted by kgordon
    Personally I dont mind not being able to access PHPAdmin and Fantastico as root.

You can access PHPMyAdmin from WHM.

I dont know if people have different Ideas then me, but this is specifically what I would like to see..

Users main account : user123

user123 logs into cPanel and creates user123_bob and user123_mike

Now both user123_bob and user123_mike have access to cPanel. But, user123_bob can only access email & ftp related functions. user123_mike can only access statistical information.

The users account would have Three sub accounts in cPanel, NOT WHM.
    -user123 - main account, full access
    -user123_bob - email & ftp access only
    -user123_mike- statistical information

That would make cPanel more functional for the endusers so they can delegate tasks to different people within their own organization.

I also think that this feature would be very useful for all of us. So what should we do to let this new feature be actually added to the next version? Thanks.

Follow the procedure - log a ticket on bugzilla as an enhancement and then post back the link here to it and ask people who like the idea to vote for it:
    http://bugzilla.cpanel.net
    Jonathan Michaelson

Registered Member

Bugzilla Submitted - Bugzilla #2220

Submit some votes
    Last edited by kgordon; 03-14-2005 at 04:51 PM.

It would help if you posted the link to the entry here
    Jonathan Michaelson

Registered Member

1) It is currently logged with Bugzilla
    2) If you would like to see this feature, vote for it, I did.

This would be a great feature for hosting accounts owners with multiple webmasters.
    Regards,
    RAIS

{ RAIS Hosting }~{ Superior Hosting Solutions - Personal, Business, Reseller Solutions. Great value }
    { RAIS Domains }~{ Low cost Domain Name registration services }

cPanel Access Level

Root Administrator

Nobody's mentioned this, but as well as the Cpanel icon in "List Accounts" and the root password you can also use the reseller password for access to cpanel, if the users are all under the same reseller. Nice feature ... and I love the cpanel icon feature, very cool stuff.

I've just recently added something to my postwwwacct to display a passwordless link to cpanel after the account is created ... nice little trick if you aren't fully automated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast