Thread: Need software to setup accounts for people to download documents/videos?

Registered Member

Default Need software to setup accounts for people to download documents/videos?

Not sure if this is the right forum, but hoping someone has some ideas.

I have a friend that needs a solution that I'm going to try and help him with. The plan is to set him up a cpanel account on one of my servers.

He's doing some training/consulting with a handful of people (maybe 10-30) and he wants to be able to give them usernames/passwords and let them then access content for download. It will be a combination of documents (word or PDF) and some video/webinar stuff.

I'm not sure if one of the Fantastico CMS products is the best route or if there is something better for this. I would prefer not to go the route of manually putting .htacess username/passwords on directories, because I want him to be able to keep up with his clients after I set it up for him and easily add new content for them to access.

If a CMS or other similar product is the best route, my first goal would be something with a good security reputation, and the second would be a quick spin up, as I don't want to spend a lot of time getting this going for him.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Registered Member
    cPanel Access Level

Root Administrator

Default Re: Need software to setup accounts for people to download documents/videos

I would go with a password protected directory (he can easily do this via cpanel) - as the class is small and I suppose all the students will have access to the same files.
    Of course a more elegant solution is a document manager cms.
    www.PlotHost.com - Professional Web Hosting Solutions
    24/7 Support - 99.9% Real Uptime - 15 Days Money Back
    Shared and Reseller Hosting Plans - Dallas,TX - w/ SSD

cPanel Access Level

Root Administrator

Default Re: Need software to setup accounts for people to download documents/videos

If you want to keep it very simple, password-protected directories should do what you want, as PlotHost suggested. You can read about them in our documentation here:

Password Protect Directories
    For hands-on assistance, please reference our new support information page: Where should I go for support?
    cPResources: Support Options - Submit a ticket here - Additional Support Options - Forums Search - Mailing Lists(Alt) - Documentation - Find cPanel hosting

-- Jared Ryan, Technical Analyst, cPanel Technical Support