Thread: Problem creating parked domain

Registered Member

Default Problem creating parked domain

I had a site set up with the .com extension and then had the .org address as a parked domain. The client wanted it done the other way around, so I deleted the account, recreated it as .org. Now when trying to park the .com, I'm getting the error

Code:
    Error from park wrapper: Using nameservers with the following IPs: both.my.dns.server,entries.show.here Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver.
    Dig command (ssh) shows all is good with the pointing.. If I add the zone to my WHM dns manager, then I get an error when adding the parked domain with the .com that the domain is owned by another username... I think what's happening is that the old .com site, as first created, then deleted, recreated as the .org, did not completely delete..

Ideas??

TIA!

Shortz

Registered Member

Default Make sure DNS Zone was properly removed

Please make sure that the .com domain DNS Zone was properly removed from the server. You can check it via WHM -> DNS Zone Editor.
    AccuWebHosting.Com | cPanel Hosting Provider Since 2003
    Cloud Powered Hosting | cPanel VPS
    Trusted by 20,000+ Clients Worldwide

Registered Member

Try enabling the following option under WHM >> Tweak Settings >> Domains and see if you can add the .com park domain

Allow Creation of Parked/Addon Domains that resolve to other servers (i.e. domain transfers) [This can be a major security problem. If you must have it enabled, be sure to not allow users to park common internet domains.]

cPanel Access Level

DataCenter Provider

Don't mean to derail this thread, but what exactly would be the security issue to create an apache entry for a domain that does not point at the server the entry is on?

cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst cPanelDon's Avatar
    cPanel Access Level

DataCenter Provider

Quote Originally Posted by madaboutlinux View Post
    Try enabling the following option under WHM >> Tweak Settings >> Domains and see if you can add the .com park domain
    Allow Creation of Parked/Addon Domains that resolve to other servers (i.e. domain transfers) [This can be a major security problem. If you must have it enabled, be sure to not allow users to park common internet domains.]
    In addition to or as an alternative to toggling the referenced Tweak Settings option, it is possible to set third-party DNS/name server IP addresses to be seen as local; this may be useful if you know the third-party DNS/name servers already point to the correct server where you are adding the new parked or add-on domain.

Starting in cPanel version 11.25, a custom list of remote service IP addresses may be configured using WHM via the following menu path:
    WHM: Main >> IP Functions >> Configure Remote Service IPs >> Remote DNS IPs
    The custom list of remote DNS IP addresses is saved in the following file:
    Code:
    /etc/ips.remotedns

Quote Originally Posted by Data 1 View Post
    Don't mean to derail this thread, but what exactly would be the security issue to create an apache entry for a domain that does not point at the server the entry is on?
    Moderator Note: Please remember to keep the discussion on-topic; the quoted text was simply copied verbatim from WHM Tweak Settings as accessed via the following menu path: WHM: Main >> Server Configuration >> Tweak Settings

For reference purposes, adding a parked or add-on domain not only creates an Apache virtual host but it also enables e-mail. Depending on the server configuration, including the configured mail routing setting, it is possible for a user to (inadvertently or maliciously) setup a domain that they do not own in attempt to hijack traffic to the domain. One possible example may involve hijacking local outbound e-mails to the domain; however, this also depends on the mail routing configuration used (e.g., such as what can be configured via cPanel >> Mail >> MX Entry).

For in-depth security discussions I recommend referring to the following forums area: cPanel and WHM Security - cPanel Forums