Thread: PuTTY Fatal Error, Network error: Connection timed out

Registered Member

Default PuTTY Fatal Error, Network error: Connection timed out

Hello,

I followed a very helpful info from "A Beginner's Guide to Securing Your Server" topic.

After I installed the firewall and changed the ssh port # from 22 to my choice, I kept disconnected from ssh after a few minutes of idle. However, I was able to log back into ssh.

So in order to increase the ssh session time out, I modified /etc/ssh/sshd_config (with AllowTcpForwarding YES, ClientAliveInterval 120 and ServerAliveInterval 300) as advised elsewhere in the forum.

After a minute, I went ahead and rebooted my server via ssh becasue I found the server load became quite high in WHM.

After the server rebooted, I was able to log back into the WHM and restarted the services, but unfortunately I am NOT able to log into back to ssh anymore. I keep getting “PuTTY Fatal Error, Network error: Connection timed out” error in a little pop up window.

My server is in data center. I use Linksys router at home but it was never been an issue with using ssh or anything such as VPN to other server and so on.

I believe this issue caused by my miss modification to sshd_config file. Or, may be something else. I don’t know how to remove all keepalive setting that I put as I mentioned above.

Did you ever have that similar issue? How did you resolve it?

Please advise me.

Thanks.

Registered Member

I just tried ssh again using someone else’ computer but still no lucks. I got errors “PuTTY Fatal Error, Network error: Connection refused

Is there a way to fix or reinstall sshd_config file that I modified, via WHM. Is there any alternative way to fix this problem?

Please advise me.

Thanks.

Registered Member This forum account has been confirmed by cPanel staff to represent a vendor. chirpy's Avatar

You can have SSH run up with an empty configuration file (usually on port 22) by browsing to:

Code:
    http://11.22.33.44:2086/scripts2/doautofixer?autofix=safesshrestart
    If you need to flush iptables, you can also:

Code:
    http://11.22.33.44:2086/scripts2/doautofixer?autofix=iptablesflush
    Jonathan Michaelson

cPanel Server Configuration, Security and Antivirus/AntiSpam Services
    http://www.configserver.com

Registered Member

Thank you for the response.

I just tried as you advised and I am now able to use ssh but with default port #22 only.

I still can see my ports configuration settings in conf.apf file (I insall the firewall as I mentioned above posts). However, I am NOT able to use that new ssh port. Do you know why?

Thanks.

Registered Member

I haven't changed a thing since my last post but I am now UNABLE to ssh to the server again. I have downloaded the whm explorer but don't know how to use it correctly. Do I have to do the iptable flashing again or is there any other alternative way to fix this issue for good?

Please advise me.

Thanks.
    Last edited by cwuser; 06-30-2007 at 07:59 PM.