Thread: Server Updates

Registered Member

Default Server Updates

I am new to cPanel. I was wondering if some one could give me the low down on updating cPanel. I am used to updating a Linux operating system with "yum". So do I continue updating with yum? Do I need to update cPanel or will it update itself? How often should I do updates, I know updates can break things. Should I enable yum's rollback features. I am hoping to get a little help from experienced users of cPanel.

Thanks!

Chris Edwards

Registered Member

cPanel's update script, upcp, will run yum and update everything but the kernel, as well as updating cPanel specific stuff.

Registered Member

Excelent, thannks for the tip. How often does a typical host need to be updated? What type of upgrade issues normally happen to web hosting clients when doing upgrades?
    Chris Edwards
    Blue Dog Hosting

Registered Member

You can set upcp to run as a cronjob every night, in WHM go to Server Configuration -> Update Config and select which release you'd like to run under cPanel/WHM upgrades (Automatic (STABLE tree), Automatic (RELEASE tree), Automatic (CURRENT tree)), and go ahead and select any other upgrade preferences and save it.

Personally I leave it to automatically upgrade, and make sure the check the upcp emails in the morning for any problems that may have occurred. Also haven't ran into a lot of problems with auto updates and something happening to cut off service for clients. That mainly happens with an Apache/PHP update and a failed build.

Registered Member

voltar,

So which of these seem to do the trick? I want them to stay current but I don't want things to break for most customers.

cPanel/WHM Updates
    Automatic (STABLE tree)
    Automatic (RELEASE tree
    Automatic (CURRENT tree)

Thanks for the tips.
    Chris Edwards
    Blue Dog Hosting

cPanel Development cPanelKenneth's Avatar
    cPanel Access Level

Root Administrator

CURRENT is updated more often then RELEASE. RELEASE is updated more often then STABLE.

What that means is the more frequently a branch is updated, the opportunities there are to experience issues. For example, we are nearing a release of 11.24. This means CURRENT will be updated, and possibly receive quite a few updates over the course of a few days or a couple weeks before RELEASE experiences some of the cPanel 11.24 updates.

Regardless of cPanel branch, yum will be run during the update for each. If you want the least amount of disruption, choose STABLE.

Registered Member

When it does a YUM update does it also update the kernel?
    Chris Edwards
    Blue Dog Hosting

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by offline View Post
    When it does a YUM update does it also update the kernel?
    No, we do not auto upgrade the kernel as many things can go wrong with kernel upgrades that require manual interaction or physical access to the server.

You can find our list of excludes in /scripts/checkyum. I've also put them below. For everything other than kernel related, we update the excluded packages independently:

courier*
    dovecot*
    nsd*
    apache*
    mod_ssl*
    httpd*
    mysql*
    squirrelmail*
    php*
    spamassassin*
    exim*
    pure-ftpd*