Thread: Shared SSL certificate issue

Default Shared SSL certificate issue

Hi,
    I am a new comer here.
    I want to use Shared SSL certificate for our domain but
    our Cpanel home page is not showing any SSL/TSL icon.
    We have to buy any thing extra for this.

Please help.

Registered Member

To use the Shared SSL Certificate you will have to use the https://IP address of your server/~domain username. However, if you would like to install the SSL certificate to the specific domain then you will have to purchase additional SSL certificate from your hosting provider. To Install the SSL Certificate you will require the dedicated server.
    AccuWebHosting.Com | cPanel Hosting Provider Since 2003
    Cloud Powered Hosting | cPanel VPS
    Trusted by 20,000+ Clients Worldwide

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by thewebhosting View Post
    To Install the SSL Certificate you will require the dedicated server.
    I believe you meant to state that they would require a dedicate IP address, not a dedicated server.

cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst cPanelDon's Avatar
    cPanel/WHM Access Level

DataCenter Provider

Lightbulb

To use a shared SSL certificate, this requires that one be installed and set as a shared certificate via the WHM control panel, typically only setup by someone with root (System Administrator) access.

If shared SSL is installed, it could be accessed using a URL in the following format, where "domain.tld" is the same domain as the SSL certificate is created for, and where "username" is replaced by your actual account username.
    Code:
    https://domain.tld/~username/
    To use non-shared SSL, e.g., a custom SSL certificate created just for your domain, this requires a dedicated IP address (that may cost extra from your hosting service provider).

To avoid browser warnings about the SSL certificate potentially being self-signed, it may also be necessary to purchase the SSL certificate so that is is "trusted" by the browser when people visit the site via SSL ("https://").

cPanel/WHM Access Level

DataCenter Provider

Is an account with a dedicated IP required for this? I would like to set the server's hostname which has a wildcard cert for cPanel and email services as a shared SSL for standard Apache account access via this method.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by cPanelDon View Post
    To use a shared SSL certificate, this requires that one be installed and set as a shared certificate via the WHM control panel, typically only setup by someone with root (System Administrator) access.

If shared SSL is installed, it could be accessed using a URL in the following format, where "domain.tld" is the same domain as the SSL certificate is created for, and where "username" is replaced by your actual account username.
    Code:
    https://domain.tld/~username/
    To use non-shared SSL, e.g., a custom SSL certificate created just for your domain, this requires a dedicated IP address (that may cost extra from your hosting service provider).

To avoid browser warnings about the SSL certificate potentially being self-signed, it may also be necessary to purchase the SSL certificate so that is is "trusted" by the browser when people visit the site via SSL ("https://").

cPanel/WHM Access Level

DataCenter Provider

Anyone have any information on that?

cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst cPanelDon's Avatar
    cPanel/WHM Access Level

DataCenter Provider

Quote Originally Posted by Solokron View Post
    Is an account with a dedicated IP required for this? I would like to set the server's hostname which has a wildcard cert for cPanel and email services as a shared SSL for standard Apache account access via this method.

Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Solokron View Post
    Anyone have any information on that?
    It is possible to install an SSL certificate that is created for the server hostname and have it installed using the main shared IP address (assuming the main shared IP is not changed from where the hostname resolves to).

When installing the shared SSL certificate via WHM, ensure the domain entered is that of the server hostname, and for the username enter "nobody" and for the IP address ensure it matches the same IP address where the hostname resolves to (that is typically also the main shared IP address unless the shared IP was manually changed). After the SSL certificate is installed, it may be set as shared in WHM via the following menu path: WHM: Main >> SSL/TLS >> Manage SSL Hosts

Access via URIs like "/~username/" is allowed or disallowed by configuring mod_userdir protection; this can is performed using the Apache mod_userdir Tweak in WHM Security Center via the following menu path: WHM: Main >> Security Center >> Apache mod_userdir Tweak
    Last edited by cPanelDon; 01-21-2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Clarification

cPanel/WHM Access Level

DataCenter Provider

That's the ticket! Thank you Don.

Quote Originally Posted by cPanelDon View Post
    It is possible to install an SSL certificate that is created for the server hostname and have it installed using the main shared IP address (assuming the main shared IP is not changed from where the hostname resolves to).

When installing the shared SSL certificate via WHM, ensure the domain entered is that of the server hostname, and for the username enter "nobody" and for the IP address ensure it matches the same IP address where the hostname resolves to (that is typically also the main shared IP address unless the shared IP was manually changed). After the SSL certificate is installed, it may be set as shared in WHM via the following menu path: WHM: Main >> SSL/TLS >> Manage SSL Hosts

Access via URIs like "/~username/" is allowed or disallowed by configuring mod_userdir protection; this can is performed using the Apache mod_userdir Tweak in WHM Security Center via the following menu path: WHM: Main >> Security Center >> Apache mod_userdir Tweak

Registered Member

I'm also pretty new to adding SSL certs. I have got my WHM services nicely secured behind a couple of certificates, but I now need to add SSL for a couple of my user accounts.

Am I going to have to get a unique IP address for each hosting account before I can secure them with an SSL cert, or can I have several virtual hosts on the same IP, but all with their own SSL certs?

I though it was the latter, as my WHM services all seem to be ok, and they all share the same IP, despite having different fqdn.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by santrix View Post
    Am I going to have to get a unique IP address for each hosting account before I can secure them with an SSL cert, or can I have several virtual hosts on the same IP, but all with their own SSL certs?
    Yes, you need to get a dedicated IP address for each of the hosing accounts for which you want to have their own SSL certs.

Hi,
    I am talking about installing shared ssl.

I installed it successfully by going to
    WHM: Main >> SSL/TLS >> Install a SSL Certificate and Setup the Domain and copy pasted the shared crt file to the crt box. then if you press tab the domain name will appear as *.domain.com i remove the "*." and install the certificate.

And then go to WHM: Main >> SSL/TLS >> manage SSL Host and make the certificate shared.

Please let me know if anyone have any modification.

thanks for useful information