Thread: Tell Cpanel to block access to an entire country?

Registered Member

Default Tell Cpanel to block access to an entire country?

Hi Guys, I am having problems with a hacker in Indonesia, for the time being, I am wondering if it is possible to completly ban access to my server from anyone with an Indonesian IP address?

Thanks!
    -Arron

Hi Arron,
    You would need something based around the Geo-IP database to block by country, and I am unaware of any firewall which can do this. My best advice would be to have a look at the IP's the attacks are coming from, trace back to the service provider, then check out the regional IP assignment organisation (ARIN for Indonesia?) for all of the ranges that the SP uses - you should be able to supernet the ranges ( x.x /16 for example).

This is a very heavy-handed approach to the problem - I suggest looking at your firewall config (you are at least running Chirpy's CSF aren't you?) and look at investing in a good hardware firewall if you havent already - The WatchGuard Core e-series come highly recommended and you can even script apps like CSF to automatically blacklist an offending IP at the WG
    Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Computer Service Centre. Any advice is given soley on the assumption that it will be followed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by listenmirndt View Post
    Hi Guys, I am having problems with a hacker in Indonesia, for the time being, I am wondering if it is possible to completly ban access to my server from anyone with an Indonesian IP address?

Thanks!
    -Arron
    If you are running online business, i just want to tell you that a lot of potential people in Indonesia can be your customers. I am Indonesian and have good business with people in South East Asia Region, including Indonesian.

Yes, there are some hackers from Indonesia but almost all country have it. So.. if you are blocking IP for the entire country, you will loss a lot of potential customer from this country.

Like rikgarner said, use better firewall and hardened your script to have better protection.

It's just my opinion not because i am Indonesian
    It's me ...... It's me ......

cPanel Access Level

Root Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by listenmirndt View Post

Thanks!
    -Arron
    Install a firewall such as CSF. This will block individuals when they have too many connections to the server, too many failed logins, etc.
    Blocking entire countries really isn't recommended if you run a hosting server, because it's more than just you or that one client with problems on that server.