Thread: WHM versus WHMCS

Default WHM versus WHMCS

I am looking to build a site to automatically resell domains and web host space. The site will be something like WordPress, where you can optionally choose to host the WordPress app at your own domain http://wordpress.com/products/.

I am looking at various hosting resellers now, so if anyone has any suggestions for a host please send them. Requirements for the reseller are 1) linux-based, 2) at least 1,500 GB to resell and 3) cPanel/WHM or WHMCS is installed.

My main question, though, relates to WHM and WHMCS. Some of the resellers I've been looking at only offer WHMCS. Could anyone elaborate the advantages and disadvantages of WHM versus WHMCS?

Registered Member

WHMCS is just a billing/support/automation management script for WHM.

Thanks Voltar! Does it sound like WHMCS fits our needs? To clarify, we'll need to:
    1. Create 3 packages of hosting, where the packages include email, FTP information
    2. Create new user accounts
    3. Assign a package to each user account
    4. Make all modifications as necessary along the way
    5. Bill each user on a yearly basis.

It appears to me that we're better off with WHMCS than WHM, as much of the work is done for us with the former. Would love to get a second opinion though before we start down this road.

Registered Member

Maybe I need to clarify a bit? WHM is Web Host Manager, the server/user account management interface portion of cPanel, which would be the client side interface. Perhaps you're talking about WHMAutoPilot?

Either way, both WHMCS and WHMAutoPilot (I own and use both) let you automatically/instantly create accounts, packages, feature lists and robust billing options. WHMCS is better if you only running one business 'front' as it has support ticketing, downloads, a knowledge base and loads of other features. WHMAutoPilot is better if you have another support system like Kayako eSupport that you use for multiple sites.

Either one would be good, but I would give WHMCS a shot, they still have a 15 day free trial that you can order. Set it up and see if it fits your needs, if it does, you can just order a key, you don't have to set everything up again.

Thanks again Voltar! Have you used both API's? We're planning to use the API exclusively - no manual account management - so if either WHMCS or WHMAutoPilot's API were better that would be a good reason to go with them.

I would suggest WHMCS as its one of the best. Once you add the servers in it all the process, right from order page on site till client receiving welcome e-mail is automated.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bardamu View Post
    Thanks again Voltar! Have you used both API's? We're planning to use the API exclusively - no manual account management - so if either WHMCS or WHMAutoPilot's API were better that would be a good reason to go with them.
    I currently use both systems + the API. The only manually account management I do right now is for cPGS and SHOUTcast servers (no good automation modules that I've found yet).

Like I said though, they both have trials, give them a shot and see what works for you.