1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache Restarting Every 1-2 Hours

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by mattress, Jul 10, 2010.

1. mattress

mattress Member

So I'm seeing Apache restart every one to two hours in the error_log, like this:

Code:
    [Sat Jul 10 10:02:33 2010] [notice] Graceful restart requested, doing restart
    [Sat Jul 10 10:02:34 2010] [notice] Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 configured -- resuming normal operations

The only (cPanel) thread I saw on this appears to be for an issue that was apparently fixed back in January. Any ideas what this is or where I would begin troubleshooting it?

2. Miraenda

Miraenda Member

These graceful restarts are part of the log rotation. If you want to minimize the restarts, which shouldn't impact Apache services as they are a graceful restart not a SIGHUP, then you may want to consider switching to the piped logging option instead for logging.

WHM > Apache Configuration > Piped Log Configuration and check "Enable piped Apache logs" then click Save button.

Here's a discussion on piped logging and the graceful restarts on this forum:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/cpanel-11-25-log-processing-145417.html

3. mattress

mattress Member

Ah-ha! I looked through a closed thread that linked to that thread, but never actually read the one you're referring to. As long as its designed behavior, I'm fine with it. Thank you for the info.

4. Miraenda

Miraenda Member

You're very welcome and I'm glad I could help :)