1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you sure your clamAV is installed correctly ?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Radio_Head, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Radio_Head

Radio_Head Active Member

Latest months I noticed that even if your WHM > cPanel menu > Manage plugins reports that your clamAV is installed correctly , very often it's not true at all .

How to check if your clamd is really installed and running

Go to console and execute this

# whereis clamd

If you receive this
    clamd: /etc/clamd.conf
    your clamAV is NOT installed (even if your WHM > cPanel menu > Manage plugins reports that your clamAV is installed correctly )

If you receive something like this
    clamd: /usr/sbin/clamd /etc/clamd.conf /usr/share/man/man8/clamd.8
    your clamAV is installed correctly .

If your clamAV is not installed you can report the problem to cPanel . I reported the problem to cpanel countless way however they always reported me the problem does not exist or they can't replicate it. If we all report the problem to cpanel ,I hope they finally fix the clamAV installer in WHM > cPanel menu > Manage plugins

#1 Radio_Head, Jul 31, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. Miraenda

Miraenda Member

Is your system 32-bit or 64-bit? I just wondered as I've seen more issues with the /usb/sbin/clamd binary not installing properly on 64-bit systems personally.

3. Radio_Head

Radio_Head Active Member

I have seen the problem in 32 and 64 bit servers.

4. cuongvttt

cuongvttt Member

I dont know why everybody get same issue?

I dont know why everybody get same issue?
    CPanel should tell us know. Sometime we dont like to file a ticket.
    I have used CPanel for a long time but i dont know this featrue. Now i know it and addon this module via WHM but it don not work.
    Please help me.

5. nilesh_kolte

nilesh_kolte Member

Try this..

* Download the latest stable ClamAV distribution from http://www.clamav.net
    * Expand the distribution and cd into the resultant directory and build ClamAV using:
    tar -xzf clamav-*
    cd clamav*
    ./configure --disable-zlib-vcheck
    make
    make install
    replace "Example" "#Example" -- /usr/local/etc/freshclam.conf
    replace "Example" "#Example" -- /usr/local/etc/clamd.conf
    * Run freshclam to download the latest definitions:
    freshclam
    * If you're using the clamavmodule, check you have the latest version installed:
    /scripts/perlinstaller --force Mail::ClamAV
    * Then restart MailScanner with:
    service MailScanner restart

6. JawadArshad

JawadArshad Member

I faced a similar problem but a few times with cPanel, a few general checks were identified and they help solve the problem in most cases. You can find my post regarding this here.

I wouldn't recommend manually installing clamav. I am not sure if you can run the virus scanner in cPanel after manually installing clamav. Secondly, cPanel keeps clamAV updated if you check that option as well so you are saved the trouble of updating your av.
    Manual installations can become outdated and often lead to problems later where you have two versions installed and old libraries can cause conflicts.

I have replied to your post in the other thread here. I would request mods to merge these two threads with similar issues.

7. Radio_Head

Radio_Head Active Member

I will try the steps in your thread , however there is something wrong in WHM > manage plugin page.

Why does WHM reports that clamAV is installed correctly ? This should be corrected , if the clamd binary is not present , WHM must NOT report that clamAV is installed . It only causes confusion.

BTW when I found the problem , and it happens daily on several servers, I fix/install clamAV in this way

for 64 bit
    cd /usr/local/cpanel/modules-install/clamavconnector-Linux-x86_64;wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/clamav/clamav/0.96/clamav-0.96.tar.gz?use_mirror=ignum;./install;/scripts/perlinstaller --force File::Scan::ClamAV

for 32 bit
    cd /usr/local/cpanel/modules-install/clamavconnector-Linux-i686;wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/clamav/clamav/0.96.1/clamav-0.96.1.tar.gz?use_mirror=heanet;./install;/scripts/perlinstaller --force File::Scan::ClamAV

Of course wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/clamav/clamav/0.96/clamav-0.96.tar.gz?use_mirror=ignum should be replaced with latest clamAV file (from clamav site) . Using this way , clamAV is installed correctly using the cPanel install script . The difference is that from console the installation never fails while using WHM > manage plugin it always fails , even if WHM reports that clamAV is installed correctly .

#7 Radio_Head, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010