1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CentOs 4.4 setup question (for centos users)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bsasninja, Mar 22, 2007.

1. bsasninja

bsasninja Member

I used the CentOs 4.4 single server cd version to setup a server, but I found that some tools as gcc are not installed.
    This kinds of things affects cpanel/whm first download/install ?

What do you recommend single server cd version or setup it with the 4 cd sets selecting server workstation for setup or is the same thing?¿

Do you recommend automatic partitioning?
    BTW, i have 2 disk in one will be the OS and Cpanel and the other will be used as /backup for whm backups. My question is the /backup partion has to be set in the os setup?

Sorry for this questions cause Its my first time building up a 2u server and im going to put it in a colocation service. I always used to have dedicated servers with all the things installed :)

Thanks

#1 bsasninja, Mar 22, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  2. dalem

dalem Active Member

MMM ive used the single server cd before and it's always had gcc installed (must have changed it)

4 disk set use disk 1 only minimal install will work
    I personallly install the txt editors & bind

manually partition
    this is how i do it

/swap 2000 or 2x ram I never go over 4000
    /boot 100
    / all the rest

but how you partition is up to you

the second drive you can mount later

3. xerophyte

xerophyte Member

I would put the tmp on different partition so you can secure easily, otherwise you have to create tmp files sytem and need to secure it

cpanel does need gcc and few other development tools, you should have a option to select on the install cd.

hope that helps

4. dalem

dalem Active Member

cpanel automaticly puts /tmp in its own partition during intallation

5. bsasninja

bsasninja Member

I have 4GB of ram, the swap should be 8000mb?

I saw in the setup that you can customize the things to install, gcc is located under compiler tools?

thanks

6. rone

rone Member

When you have 4gig of RAM you don't need that much SWAP. Just use a amount of 1,5gig of SWAP.

7. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

During install, cPanel will download via yum gcc and other development tools needed (likewise with libraries).

cPanel does not put /tmp on it's own partition, rather it checks whether /tmp is it's own partition. If it is, it remounts it with noexec and updates /etc/fstab

If it is not its own partition, it creates a loopback filesystem, which it mounts noexec, updating /etc/fstab with that info.

8. bsasninja

bsasninja Member

the / backup has to be mounted, after the os setup? i mean in the second disk, and what about the formating??

thanks

9. hodfords

hodfords Member

You must ensure that GCC is installed - Cpanel may or may not do it via yum. Before installing cpanel, you need to configure Yum first (/etc/yum.conf). You may want to take out the kernel upgrade, since we have had issues with kernel being upgraded before. If you want to upgrade kernel, do it separately first before installing cpanel.

As for the partitioning, do it manually right at the beginning and follow the partition guide Cpanel provides you with and at the same time, partition the /backup. The format should be ext3, it should be added to fstab as well, if not already there. /backup can be added after cpanel install too if need be but best to do it whilst installing centos.

#9 hodfords, Mar 26, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  10. bsasninja

bsasninja Member

Thanks guys I Got it!! I did a test setup and everything is fine. I have a doubt, I read at cpanel install documentation this:

The hostname of this server should be a Fully Qualified Domain Name that will not be used elsewhere on the server. You should never set your hostname to a name that is already used (www, ftp, mail, etc) or to the name of an account on the server (www.domain.com). This means that your hostname should never be a domain name and especially not the name of your domain!!

Which problem could cause having my hostname like server.mydomain.com ??? I always used it like this and never had any problem. :confused:

Other thing bind should be installed at the os setup, or this is handled by cpanel instalation??

Thanks

#10 bsasninja, Mar 26, 2007
  11. _Sam_

_Sam_ Member

having a hostname like server.domain.com is fine... what it means is not to use something like ftp.domain.com for your host name as that will cause alot of problems as it is already used on the server.

#11 _Sam_, Mar 26, 2007
  12. bsasninja

bsasninja Member

hey guys im still having the problem, i cant install the development tools under centos install, dont know why.
    I enter to customize sofware packages to be installed

Then I check development tools and only have this:

Base Packages
    binutils
    gettext
    make

Optional Packages
    elfutils
    Emacs
    Memtest
    perl-xml-dumper
    perl-xml-encoding
    perl-xml-parser
    ruby
    xemacs

Seems that the single cd version of Centos 4.4 doesnt have gcc packages. I think I should download the full 4 cd version.