1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

change email size limit

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by soupn, Apr 7, 2006.

1. soupn

soupn New Member

Hello,

- whats the default maximum message size limit on cpanel

- and where do i go to change it?

- can i change that limit on a site basis or must it be general to all sites?

#1 soupn, Apr 7, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  2. chirpy

chirpy Super Moderator

3. ramprage

ramprage Member

4. soupn

soupn New Member

thks for your response.

so all domains can send, for example, email messages with 10, 20 30mb? it all depends on the server of the recipient?

i dont want to set any limit, i just have a custumer that want to send emails with 10,2 or 30mb in attachs. just want to know if it is possible.

5. chirpy

chirpy Super Moderator

They can do so, yes. If they're to receive such huge emails, then they would need to ensure that they have sufficient mailbox and/or account disk quota available.

Do bear in mind that email was never designed for such huge emails, though. All email has to be sent in plain-text, so a 30GB binary attachment bust first be converted into BASE64 which can inflate the size of the actual email from 30GB to anywhere over 100GB or more. This could cause serious performance overheads on your server and could easily lead to timeouts (as there's no retry feature in SMTP) while the client sends the email. For such huge files, FTP or allowing download from their site with a link in an email is a much better solution.

6. spaceman

spaceman Member

What do you think is a reasonable but generous limit? 10M? 20M? 30M? We've had a few issues recently where 20M-35M incoming emails were causing havoc, so I'm thinking that 20M is a very generous maximum.

Any other opinions?

7. chirpy

chirpy Super Moderator

If you want to protect the performance of the server I would suggest the lower limit of your suggestions. If users are sending through anything bigger, they should be using some other method (i.e. FTP) to transfer such huge files. SMTP was never designed for such huge attachments.

8. NT

NT Member

Thanks for the advice, Chirpy - I've added a 10MB file limit to my exim configuration now :)

9. mickalo

mickalo Member

where did you sent your file attachment limit in the exim config file and what is the syntax to do this?

thx's
    Mickalo