1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CSF firewall, how can I block an IP range?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jols, Dec 20, 2006.

1. jols

jols Active Member

Problem is, I need to block a range for an entire country, i.e. every IP starting with 85, 86 or 88.

Anyone know what I can put in the csf.deny file for this?

2. mickalo

mickalo Member

I believe you can find the CIDR/Netmask IP range at http://www.dnsstuff.com/

Mickalo

3. jols

jols Active Member

Okay, thanks for the help!

4. procam

procam Member

How can I block a list of ip ranges with csf ?

I want to step this question up ~ I am really fed up with china/korea spam so I assembled a list of all their ip space

How can I add all of this to csf firewall to block it all quickly and easily ?
    Thats not the complete list It was too big to post but thats the general idea of what I want to block.

5. procam

procam Member

I already have all of it blocked for spam via the mailscanner blacklist - but I want all traffic to that specific server from china/korea blocked completely ~

6. RandyO

RandyO Member

You are not alone for sure, but so far that list is so long that it can bog your system down. There is also no real good RBL that is all inclusive of the korean/chinese ip list.

I have run the full list myself and yes spam does drop DRAMATICALLY but loads on server are compromised now by the list instead of the spam...

7. jayh38

jayh38 Active Member

Do some research on mod geoip. I have this installed on many servers for developers
    to use for ads targeting but it seems very versitle for other things as well.

8. ckh

ckh Member

You probably already have some blacklists listed in your exim configuration. Here's what I have in mine and it's cut down the spam dramatically. Just make sure that the countries I have listed aren't ones that you or your clients are doing business with:

dnslists = sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org : ar.countries.nerd.dk : br.countries.nerd.dk : cn.countries.nerd.dk : kr.countries.nerd.dk : pl.countries.nerd.dk : tr.countries.nerd.dk : tw.countries.nerd.dk : vn.countries.nerd.dk

ar = Argentina
    br = Brazil
    cn = China
    kr = Korea
    pl = Poland
    tr = Turkey
    tw = Taiwan
    vn = Vietnam

Chris