1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domain example.com has exceeded the max defers and failures per hour (5/5

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by GoWilkes, Oct 1, 2012.

1. GoWilkes

GoWilkes Member

I have an account that had a virus (the email account is now disabled), but they've been getting the following error message ever since:

Domain example.com has exceeded the max defers and failures per hour (5/5 (100%)) allowed

I figured it would happen for a few hours, since they had sent a bunch of emails, but it's been a week now and they're still getting it.

According to Mail Delivery Reports, in the last 24 hours they've sent 10 emails, 9 of which Failed+Deferred. But when looking through the list, it looks like the 9 failed emails failed because of this same error; they can't send an email because they've had too many bounce, and when they try to send another one, it bounces and adds to the percentage.

How long do they need to wait before sending any emails before it will clear up? It looks like they're waiting 24 hours or more, and that's not enough.

Further, how do I disable this feature entirely? Under Tweak Settings, I've set the following, which I thought would disable it, but it doesn't:

Code:
    Max hourly emails per domain -> Unlimited (default)
    Maximum percentage of failed or deferred messages a domain may send per hour -> Unlimited (default)
    The percentage of email messages (above the account’s hourly maximum) to queue and retry for delivery -> 125% (default)

I figured that 125% of Unlimited is Unlimited, but apparently it's 5? I'm confused on that one.

TIA,

Jason

2. Supriya Aher

Supriya Aher New Member

Re: Domain example.com has exceeded the max defers and failures per hour (5

Did you try to restart the exim service once ?

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Active Member
    Staff Member

Could it instead be hitting this option in WHM > Exim Configuration Manager?

The setting is five as listed in the text and the 5/5 for the message you are showing in /var/log/exim_mainlog appears to indicate it might be this setting rather than the defer one in WHM > Tweak Settings that is applying.

4. GoWilkes

GoWilkes Member

Sorry for the delay in replying. For whatever reason, I didn't get the email notifications that anyone had replied to this thread.

Tristan, the "ratelimit incoming connections..." that you mentioned only had an "on / off" option. I turned it off and asked the client to try again, but they reported back that they still get the same error message:

Domain example.com has exceeded the max defers and failures per hour (5/5 (100%)) allowed. Message discarded.

They tried sending about 45 minutes after I emailed them and asked them to try. Would the length of time have anything to do with it?

Under Exim Configuration Manager, everything is set to "default" except:

SpamAssassin™ reject spam score threshold -> 10
    Reject remote mail sent to the server's hostname -> On
    Ratelimit suspicious SMTP servers -> Off
    Ratelimit incoming connnections with only failed recipients -> Off

This last one is the only thing I changed for this most recent test.

They haven't been able to send any emails for about 3 weeks or so, and I'm clueless on why. This is the only error in the mail log for the account.

#4 GoWilkes, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Active Member
    Staff Member

Could you submit a ticket to us at this time? The only idea I had was the one in Exim Configuration Manager. They shouldn't still be denied for sending emails like this unless something else is blocking them. We'll need server access to investigate, so a ticket is the best approach.

6. GoWilkes

GoWilkes Member

I've submitted the ticket, and sent the ID to you by PM. I would have posted it here, but wasn't sure if there was any security reason to keep the ID private.

Thanks, Tristan,

Jason

7. GoWilkes

GoWilkes Member

I believe that I have fixed the problem on my own, but it may still be a bug with cPanel.

I found the following file:

/var/cpanel/email_send_limits/max_deferfail_example.com

Deleting this file fixed the problem immediately. I'm guessing that the system should have deleted (or updated?) this file at some point, but didn't.

8. ruzbehraja

ruzbehraja Member

I would be happy if cpanel staff could clarify:
    • What does the (5/5) really mean? Does it mean that every 5 messages are being checked? Can this limit be increased?
    • The "per hour" means any period of 60 minutes (Eg: if current time is 13:15, then hour = 13:15 to 14:15) or does it mean the current ongoing hour. (Eg: if current time is 13:15, then hour = 13:00 to 14:00)

I am sure I had read a feature request or thread from some regular poster a couple of months back. I dont think it had a clarification. Couldnt find it though.

9. ruzbehraja

ruzbehraja Member

Ok. so heres the clarification through a cpanel support ticket (Support Request Id 3978549)

I hope this clears up a lot.

10. heyjohnboy

heyjohnboy Member

Could someone please clarify a few things from this post?

1. Why were the messages failing if "Maximum percentage of failed or deferred messages a domain may send per hour" was set to unlimited?

2. If this was ultimately caused by the max_deferfail file in /var/cpanel/email_send_limits/, what would cause that file to remain there, preventing email from being sent for three weeks?

Thanks for helping us understand the actual cause of this issue if possible.

John

11. colinhyh

colinhyh New Member

deleting /var/cpanel/email_send_limits/max_deferfail_example.com also worked for me but the file kept coming back! it looks like chmod 444 on /var/cpanel/email_send_limits/ is preventing the file from coming back again

12. joako

joako Member

I submitted a ticket and was sent a link to this. How do I whitelist a domain or user to not get these errors?

13. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

You can modify the "Maximum Hourly Email by Domain Relayed" and "Maximum percentage of failed or deferred messages a domain may send per hour." values for an account via:

"WHM Home » Account Functions » Modify an Account"

Thank you.