1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to incremental serial number in dns zone?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by vanessafan, May 27, 2011.

1. vanessafan

vanessafan New Member

after a dns zone do you need to update the serial number? and if so how do you do that?

2. astopy

astopy Member

If you're editing it in WHM, it'll increment the serial number automatically. If you're editing it by hand for some reason, just increment the serial number by hand as well.

3. vanessafan

vanessafan New Member

for a given file domain.com.db how do you do this?
    maybe via the command line?
    i need to do it for a couple hundred domains

4. astopy

astopy Member

The format of the zone files should be predictable, so you should be able to write a script to edit them all. There isn't an easy, ready-made way of doing it as far as I know.

The other way would be to edit each file with vim, emacs, nano, whatever. That would obviously be pretty time consuming though.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Hello :)

This could be achieved using a Perl command like the one posted below. Please notice that /var/named is backed up before running this command so it can be restored if any errors occur:

Code:
    # cp -a /var/named /var/named-backup 
    # find /var/named/*.db -mtime -1 -exec perl -pi -e 'if (/^\s+(\d{10})\s+;\s+serial/i) { my $i = $1+1; s/$1/$i/;}' '{}' \;
    This will increment the serial for all DNS zones within the /var/named directory.

Thank you.