1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to log in to cPanel using WHM root account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Simsen, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Simsen

Simsen Member

Hi, all!

A little introduction:
    I run a web hosting company and have recently acquired a 30-day trial license for cPanel and WHM. I am still unsure if I would like to buy this promising product, especially after trying to get Apache2 and PHP5 to run (or even compile).

Anyway, on to my newbie question:
    WHM is run as root and accessed from the URL that I specify in Networking Setup -> Hostname. My question is: is there a cPanel user attached to that URL? If I navigate to https://main.url:2083, the cPanel login screen appears, but it will not accept the root logon credentials. So how do I get in to main.url/cpanel?

Thank you very much in advance.
    Simsen

2. Scorpinus

Scorpinus New Member

The main root account does not have a cPanel I believe. You can access your users cPanel through the 'List Accounts' button and then pressing on the cPanel button next to their account.

Hope this helps.

3. Simsen

Simsen Member

Thank you for your reply.

I have, however, already thought of that. The root user does not have a cPanel account, and neither am I allowed to create a new one for the domain name "main.url" because the domain name is already taken by - you guessed it - WHM. Here is the error message:

Code:
    Account Creation Status: failed (Sorry, a DNS entry for main.url already exists, please delete it first (from all servers in the dns cluster) )
    It would not be wise to delete the main domain name from the DNS cluster. How would I then access WHM?

Why does the cPanel login screen show up at all when navigating to https://main.url:2083?

- S

Edit: type-o

4. Scorpinus

Scorpinus New Member

Because it doesn't matter wich URL you goto, they all point to the same IP. You could have 2 websites and you could browse to URL www.site1.com/cpanel and login with the credentials of site 2. You would simply goto the cPanel for site 2.

#4 Scorpinus, Apr 16, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  5. Simsen

Simsen Member

That I do understand.

But the web server is still serving the (WHM) [main.url] so I figured it would be handy to be able to administer it via cPanel. Much easier, in my opinion.

- S

6. Scorpinus

Scorpinus New Member

Well I have it setup like this:

My main URL is just another account I created. It's not the root account and so it has it's own cPanel. My main URL is something like www.mainsite.com and I have a A entry in the DNS zone for the hostname like hostname.mainsite.com

That way I do have a cPanel for my main account. If you goto the main IP you goto the default cPanel / WHM has been installed succesfully page wich I see most hosting providers still have there so it seems to be normal to keep it there.

Or you could just change the file in /usr/local/apache/htdocs to alter your default site, or maybe give it a redirect command.

#6 Scorpinus, Apr 16, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  7. Simsen

Simsen Member

Thanks a million!

I will look into your tips as soon as I can.

Thanks again.

8. Scorpinus

Scorpinus New Member

Anytime :)