1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mail.yourdomain.com - CNAME or A record ?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by oprock, Mar 17, 2008.

1. oprock

oprock New Member

hello,

i notice when cpanel created account in dns zone, the mail record (mail.yourdomain.com) is under CNAME.

i notice sometime the record just not being responsive to the ping at all but when i change from cname to A record it ping perfectly.

can someone tell me why this is happening and should i modify dns zone template to put Mail record under A record not CNAME?

thanks

2. rpmws

rpmws Active Member

any service listening on the server to an IP like , a service like ping will respond as long as the dns resolves the domain to that IP. you would want to test to see if you were getting a dns responce for the CNAME as well ad the A record and if they were the same IP. If they were the same IP they will both ping.

3. ReiJu

ReiJu Member

This is just my thoughts.

I use CNAME in DNS records just when I worried if the target IP someday will change. Just like my domain that pointed to my account in blogspot (my domain is CNAME-ed to ghs.google.com). I know not when ghs.google.com will change it's IP, so for simplicity I just set my domain as a CNAME to ghs.google.com. When ghs's IP changed, there's no necessity for me to change my domain's DNS record, it will follow the new value automagically.

But this have a lot of disadvantages. One of them is the lookup process surely needs more than one step. First it needs to know where one domain points to, and then it needs to know where the CNAME points to, and so on and so on.

In my case, the lookup process needs at least 3 steps to complete. First, it needs to resolve that my domain is CNAME-ed to ghs.google.com. Second it needs to resolve that ghs.google.com is CNAME-ed to ghs.l.google.com. Third it needs to resolve the IP of ghs.l.google.com. When all is done, then the connection can be started.

That's just the same with MX records.