1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who sets up reverse dns (PTR)?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by onaweb, Aug 9, 2004.

1. onaweb

onaweb Member

Hello,
    I am having a nice "discussion" with 2 of my clients, who don't know each other by the way. They both run exchange servers for their mail and both of their IT people that set up their mail servers say that I, as their host, must create rdns for their IP because they are having problems e-mail some ISP who do a reverse lookup.

I have changed the MX to go to exchange.domain.com and added an A record that points exchange > their IP. This is all I have ever done and it seems to work for those few clients that have their own excahnge server.

As an example the one client uses Charter for internet and the IP they gave me is a Charter IP such as (68.115...). My question is since Charter is the authority for that IP, doesn't Charter have to do this? To set up a PTR to 68.115... for exchange.domain.com.

I am talking to 2 different IT people who know much more than I do, but I've never done that for any of my other clients. Unfortunately, I only have 6 or so that use their own mail servers so I don't deal with this frequently enough to know that much about it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Andy

2. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Active Member

Do they relay their email through your server or does their Exchange server send the mail directly via SMTP?

3. onaweb

onaweb Member

No mail is relayed through my server.

4. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Active Member

Then this is something that their ISP should do for them.

5. onaweb

onaweb Member

Thanks.

This is what I thought, but I was getting it from all sides that I had to fix this problem of not being able to send e-mail to isp that check reverse dns. I had even contacted the tech at one of the isp and he told me it was something that I set up for them.