Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using cPanel on a Rackspace Cloud Server?

Registered Member

Default Anyone using cPanel on a Rackspace Cloud Server?

By the sounds of it, cPanel should run just fine/normally on a Rackspace Cloud Server:

Cloud Hosting & Cloud Computing FAQ from The Rackspace Cloud

It sounds like this service presents/performs exactly like a dedicated box.

Is anyone actually using the Rackspace Cloud Server with cPanel? Any lessons/warnings/cautions/notes to share?

Thx,

Ross.
    • Web Design Perth .:. Itomic Business Website Solutions of Perth, Western Australia

sm9
    Registered Member

I'm also keen to hear if anyone has any experience of using cPanel/WHM on a Rackspace Cloud Server.

I've just signed up for an account with Rackspace and would love to get cPanel/WHM on one of these servers (which are far as I can tell, are just VPS's).

Thanks,

Stephen

Registered Member cPanel Partner NOC Badge
    cPanel/WHM Access Level

Root Administrator

I have not used it but I don't think you will run into any problems with running it. cPanel is handy but overall pretty basic on what it requires from the system.

We definately didn't run into any immediate installation issues. The matter didn't move through Quality Assurance by any means but at a glance we were able to install without issue.

Hello!

Attached is a small installation guide that we have prepared for this environment. I hope this is of help, all!
    Attached Files Attached Files

sm9
    Registered Member

Thanks John, and thanks David too for the guide, excellent!

I think I might just give this a try right now!

Thanks,

Stephen

sm9
    Registered Member

Hi there,

Just to report back, I've had two aborted attempts at installing this due to problems with my home Internet connection. Will try again once my ISP has resolved these issues (connection dropping every 30 mins).

Following your guide though, i did have to add one additional step before entering the sh latest command.

When I first tried entering sh latest, I got this error message:

Your hostname is not set properly. Please change your hostname to a fully qualified domain name, and re-run this installer.
    So I had to enter this command to give my Cloud Server a hostname:

hostname myserver.mydomain.com
    The install then seemed to be working fine before my terminal session froze due to my Internet connection dropping.

Will report back when I've tried again.

Thanks,

Stephen

sm9
    Registered Member

By the way, I registered a 15 day trial license in order to test this install (which I assume will work fine when I get that far with the installation). If it works out successfully during the 15 day trial period, can I buy a cPanel VPS license directly from cPanel? I couldn't see it in the Store (unless I'm missing something?). If not, I'd welcome any recommendations (either publicly or via PM) on where to get this from.

Thanks,

Stephen

cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst cPanelDon's Avatar
    cPanel/WHM Access Level

DataCenter Provider

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by sm9 View Post
    By the way, I registered a 15 day trial license in order to test this install (which I assume will work fine when I get that far with the installation). If it works out successfully during the 15 day trial period, can I buy a cPanel VPS license directly from cPanel? I couldn't see it in the Store (unless I'm missing something?). If not, I'd welcome any recommendations (either publicly or via PM) on where to get this from.

Thanks,

Stephen
    cPanel VPS licenses are available only through cPanel Partners. For information about how to become a cPanel Partner NOC and the included benefits, I recommend referring to the following page dedicated to the topic:
    Become a cPanel Partner NOC - cPanel Inc.

Here is a link to our directory for locating a cPanel Partner NOC:
    Partners - cPanel Inc.

For any additional questions related to licensing and Partner NOC information I recommend contacting sales or customer service via the following page:
    Contact - cPanel Inc.

Here is our specific page for cPanel VPS Optimized where you may find additional details and product information:
    VPS Optimized - cPanel Inc.

sm9
    Registered Member

Hi there,

Just to confirm, I managed to install cPanel on a Rackspace Cloud CentOS server fine! I used a 4GB RAM machine (the plan was to use a good server for the install in order to make it happen quicker, though not sure if this made any difference at all) and it took about 3 hours to install in total - thought it was going to fail at one point after it resarted spamassassin (hung there for several minutes) but it kept going in the end and seems to be ok!

Of course, need to get some websites on there to see how it goes, and I'm keen to see how it handles the VPS increasing/decreasing in size, but it seems promising.

By the way, in the install guide, it says that you recommend 40GB for a cPanel installation, but going to WHM > Server Status > Server Information > Current Disk Usage shows the following in use straight after installation:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1 150G 4.0G 139G 3% /
    none 2.1G 0 2.1G 0% /dev/shm
    /usr/tmpDSK 485M 13M 447M 3% /tmp
    So it's currently using just over 6GB in size, whilst the System Requirements page for cPanel says it needs at least 10GB in hard disk space. Besides the disk space used for websites, does this 6GB grow much with updates etc over time?

Also, 6GB seems quite a lot - are there any resources out there to trim this down by maybe disabling/removing non-essential features?

Thanks,

Stephen

One thing to keep in mind is the virtual servers can only have 4 additional IP addresses, and those four can only be used on SSL hosts.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
    By the sounds of it, cPanel should run just fine/normally on a Rackspace Cloud Server:

Cloud Hosting & Cloud Computing FAQ from The Rackspace Cloud

It sounds like this service presents/performs exactly like a dedicated box.

Is anyone actually using the Rackspace Cloud Server with cPanel? Any lessons/warnings/cautions/notes to share?

Thx,

Ross.
    You can find their tutorial to install cPanel at their cloud here CentOS - cPanel/WHM 11.24 - The Rackspace Cloud -- Cloud Servers Knowledge Base, which makes me wonder if they are able to install it for you. Best thing is to contact them for more information

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anveo View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is the virtual servers can only have 4 additional IP addresses, and those four can only be used on SSL hosts.

Says who? I have a class C on my VPS running VMware...(cloud.)

Those of you who managed to set this up: How did you handle DNS? I am currently trying to sort that out so DNS is managed through cpanel and not rackspace's cpanel, but any tips would sure help a lot.

Registered Member cPanel Partner NOC Badge

Default Re: Anyone using cPanel on a Rackspace Cloud Server?

Here's a tip: Get an external Cpanel DNS Cluster!
    DNSCluster.co.uk - multiple geographically dispersed DNS Cluster provider!
    R1Soft Leased CDP Licenses

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast