Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

1 ip address

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hopewell10, Jun 19, 2005.

1. hopewell10

hopewell10 Member

Hi
    Im looking to leave my current provider, have most of the equipment but only 1 IP.

This is going to be a problem for domains, is there anyway round it?

Jamie

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You can run a server perfectly well with multiple clients on a single IP address. The only times you're going to run into problems is if more than one domain wants to run SSL (it can only be run on a single IP address) and if you want to run a primary and secondary nameserver on the same server (which you should never ever do anyway).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. hopewell10

hopewell10 Member

thanks

Hi
    Thanks for the reply
    Please could you email me a repsonse to this Q to jamie_hopewell@yahoo.co.uk as i havent got an internet connection till next month :mad:

Anyway, how do i sort the domains then?
    Im used to using the ns1 and ns2 with 2 IPs but like i said i only have 1.

This was the main reason for this post!

Thanks
    Jamie

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

When you host websites you should always have ns1 on one server and ns2 on a different one, preferrably in a completely different datacentre. If yo don't you can run into various problems should the server be done, in particular lost email that would normally be queued. With a single IP address you simply configure everything to use it, there's nothing special that needs doing. You could then use a third-party DNS provider for your secondary DNS needs, such as http://www.granitecanyon.com/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...