The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10.8.2 update wrecked server !?!?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vissa, May 17, 2006.

1. vissa

vissa Well-Known Member

I updated to 10.8.2 current, and for some reason it stalled at 80%

spam3.....Done
    sqllimit.....Done
    static-stunnel........ ........ ........ ........ (lots more dots)

for over 2 hours.

So I had to redo the update, which went to 100% and seemed to complete ok. I then did a graceful reboot. Unforunately, my server would not come back fully -- though ssh was working (no http, mail, etc).

When running top I saw "'/sbin/modprobe -s -k -- parport_lowlevel'" as a process that would not end that was using up 100% of cpu.

I manually started httpd, which ran ok, but mysqld would not function properly.

An EV1 tech then responded as follows
    Through WHM I had to restart mysql, exim, pop, etc. I had to manually run "service ipaliases restart" to get the ips to connect properly. Everything seemed ok, all websites were working, but emails were not getting sent for some reason. So I did a graceful reboot and since then the server has been totally down and the only way to SSH in is in single user mode. You can ping all the websites, but the services don't want to start (and you can't get into WHM either).

Any ideas besides a complete restore?

2. vissa

vissa Well-Known Member

Well I ended up doing a complete restore and recover from backups.. What a pain.

In the process I discovered that /home/admin is never backed up. Not too big of a deal (just lost some graphs). Just a warning to anyone out there at uses it for anything. I don't see any way to set /home/admin to backup in WHM.

Also, can anyone comment on what EV1 said above regarding Perl and WHM/CPANEL upgrade often crashing and needing to be done manually as quoted?

-vissa

3. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Cpanel uses a lot of 3rd party perl modules and if perl is upgraded without upgrading/reinstalling all the 3rd party modules then the modules will not be included in the @INC path and will break almost every part of a cpanel server.

This is why perl is done manually so all the 3rd party modules can be updated at the same time as the new perl is installed.

The above reason is why you do not want the rpm perl updates from your OS provider also.

Hope this explains the perl issue properly.

4. vissa

vissa Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand you exactly. I never updated Perl manually. Are you saying what EV1 quoted in my first post should be done every time a cpanel update is needed or not? At this point, I am terrified of doing any cpanel updates from WHM. This is the second time something major went wrong after a cpanel update (this time was catastrophic, the last time was recoverable because it happened to hundreds of people and cpanel was aware of it).

thanks
    -vissa

5. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    i would only update perl when there is a need to do so which will not happen very often. Easiest way to tell if you need to update perl is if you get errors that require it, you see the main posters on the forums advising to do it and how to do it, or cpanel advises you to update

the manual update to perl 5.8.7 using the cpanel install file from layer1.cpanel.net should be the only perl update required for a while