In Progress 102 EDGE Version new whm theme

alwaysannoyed

Dec 31, 2018
Edinburgh
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
You can control how a web page displays using css. In the case of Firefox create a file called userContent.css and place it in a folder called 'chrome' (create it if it doesn't exist) in the appropriate profile folder. Here is some css to get rid of the stuff at the top and group the icons into one window, and make the left sidebar less obtrusive. It's not perfect but much better. I started with trimming the boxes at the top but after a while just hid them in favour of bringing the icons back into one window. Leave out the bits for hiding the top boxes and hiding the stats box if you still want to see those.

/*make the top boxes less big */
.cp-group__header {
padding: 0px !important;
}
.cp-app {
padding: .1em !important;
}
h1.section-header {
padding-bottom: 0px !important;
}

/* hides the wordings in the top box */
.cp-app__details-description {
display: none !important;
}

/* hide the stats box */
#stats {
}

/* hides the top boxes altogether */
.tools-stats-grid-container {
}

/* make the icons column flex */
#tools {
display: flex !important;
flex-wrap: wrap !important;
}

/* make the icons column narrow and give icon bars padding */
.cp-group:not(.expanded) {
padding: 10px !important;
width: 250px !important;
}

/* icon bar margin */
.mb-1 {
margin-bottom: 5px !important;
}

/* hide the title 'Tools' */
h1.section-header {
}

/* stops icon bar & dropdown moving to the right if there's only one entry */
.row {
min-width: 220px !important;
}

/* left sidebar colours*/

:root {
--cp-primary-color: #6686cc !important;
--cp-primary-contrast-text: #ffffff !important;
--cp-disabled-color: #ddd !important;
}

Last edited:

Bakugan

Jan 5, 2022
Eua
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
a bad joke

In January I was already reporting my dissatisfaction with this interface developed by an inexperienced team

Feedbacks are taken as jokes to developers

4 months my friends and NOTHING has changed, an interface not friendly and confusing to the abtual user of WHM / Cpanel,

And I leave a message, data for everyone here, it's no use giving feedbacks I did that I have 3 accounts with proxy in my ips in all of which were given for months continuously and none of them was effectively implemented by cpanel simple things

I recommend not wasting time as you will not be taken to anyone.

The same issues as in the EDGE 102 version are still present in Stable.

It is difficult to help if cpanel ignores any feedback.

just a proof of a simple report that was given to cpanel in january
1650414980105.png

How difficult is it to do this?
Remove the limitation px, by a simple 100%
/usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/jupiter/_assets/css/master-ltr.cmb.min.css

wrong:
{.container-lg{max-width:1320px}}

correct
{.container-lg{max-width:100%}}

1650415395709.png

I reported this in January

and I believe that not even showing the ridiculously simple solution will deploy.

cpanel a disappointment

Now if we as users have to go out fixing errors that cpanel should solve, what is the need to pay a license?

Wow how hard to do that right cpanel

/usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/jupiter/assets/application_icons/sprites

Replace with old files

CSS / SVG

What is the justification for this lousy exchange work?
1650419245194.png

It is not possible to customize jupiter is a cpanel fallacy, everything is in the same path everything has the same name

It is a very poorly done and executed job.

and finally, dear friends, if we look closely, cpanel Jupiter is simply the same layout as the paper (glass) with 3 ridiculous changes that I will leave marked here, showing that cpanel took 4 months to deliver us more of the same <3
1650418944305.png

Last edited:

Samet Chan

Jun 24, 2016
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
a bad joke

In January I was already reporting my dissatisfaction with this interface developed by an inexperienced team

Feedbacks are taken as jokes to developers

4 months my friends and NOTHING has changed, an interface not friendly and confusing to the abtual user of WHM / Cpanel,

And I leave a message, data for everyone here, it's no use giving feedbacks I did that I have 3 accounts with proxy in my ips in all of which were given for months continuously and none of them was effectively implemented by cpanel simple things

I recommend not wasting time as you will not be taken to anyone.

The same issues as in the EDGE 102 version are still present in Stable.

It is difficult to help if cpanel ignores any feedback.

just a proof of a simple report that was given to cpanel in january
View attachment 77381

How difficult is it to do this?
Remove the limitation px, by a simple 100%
/usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/jupiter/_assets/css/master-ltr.cmb.min.css

wrong:

correct

View attachment 77385

I reported this in January

and I believe that not even showing the ridiculously simple solution will deploy.

cpanel a disappointment

Now if we as users have to go out fixing errors that cpanel should solve, what is the need to pay a license?

Wow how hard to do that right cpanel

/usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/jupiter/assets/application_icons/sprites

Replace with old files

CSS / SVG

What is the justification for this lousy exchange work?
View attachment 77401

It is not possible to customize jupiter is a cpanel fallacy, everything is in the same path everything has the same name

It is a very poorly done and executed job.

and finally, dear friends, if we look closely, cpanel Jupiter is simply the same layout as the paper (glass) with 3 ridiculous changes that I will leave marked here, showing that cpanel took 4 months to deliver us more of the same <3
View attachment 77397
True, I'm making a backup for paper paper_lantern in cPanel and I'll try to get one WHM original style later..

shenzy

Apr 27, 2008
Chile
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@Bakugan - I did just make a post about changes we made based off user feedback. We aren't able to make every change that users request, but to say we haven't listened to end-users at this point is just not true.
@cPPex, More than saying if it's fair or not, maybe cPanel should review why their clients/users are having such a negative reaction.
This is not something recent, it is the accumulation of many things that have not been taken into account. As an example, he could mention a requirement that has not been taken into account for 6 years and is related to a critical element of the system: Backups . you didn't take it into account, and your answer was "you want better backups?... pay for them!"

Some time ago I said it in a post... I've been with cPanel for more than 14 years, and I feel that the sense of Community that was in cPanel has been lost. I feel that we have become simple clients, almost captives of a monopolized system, since the two most used panels are in the hands of the same company.

We aren't able to make every change that users request
.. Of course, but they are capable of making changes that no user requested and that apparently almost no one liked.

Bakugan

Jan 5, 2022
Eua
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
@Bakugan - I did just make a post about changes we made based off user feedback. We aren't able to make every change that users request, but to say we haven't listened to end-users at this point is just not true.
I can say that no, cpanel is not paying attention to feedbacks, I follow the forum daily in addition to countless groups of companies that have already tried to take memso via ticket to cpanel

First answer these questions if you are really paying attention:

1 - WHY is cpanel forcing the use of jupiter?

2- WHY cpanel didn't make a transition between paper -> jupiter in WHM, where both would be available but would give customers some time to adapt.

3- because Jupiter is only 3 different from paper(glass), I know that many things have changed I saw the code.

4- WHY cpanel has difficulty solving silly things as I mentioned in my previous topic

It's hard to replace this:

That is why ?

5- BECAUSE cpanel ignores its entire community saying that JUPITER is not GOOD, and I insist on forcing its use, it seems that they don't understand that the problem is not us sysadmins but the customers

It's the customers who are complaining and without a customer they don't have $ to pay cpanel

I really don't understand the difficulty of fixing silly things that any dev who took a 30 hour online basic course would solve
If I'm complaining here it's because I still trust cpanel and I believe it can change this scenario, but every day that passes it seems that we are here hindering and not helping.

I really hope you answer every question because what the community has been feeling is a total disregard on the part of cpanel with its customers

Last edited:

cPanelAdamF

cPanel Product Owner
Staff member
Mar 21, 2013
Houston TX
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
1 - WHY is cpanel forcing the use of jupiter?
When evaluating the theme support in WHM, we found considerable issues throughout the UX caused by running more than one theme. The economic decision was made to directly modify the current theme, rather than build and maintain two concurrent themes, and to drop semblances of support in this area in the long term.

We intend direct updates to the WHM theme on an on-going bases both in WHM as well as in cPanel. Future changes will be iterative in nature and not as shocking as this first change.

2- WHY cpanel didn't make a transition between paper -> jupiter in WHM, where both would be available but would give customers some time to adapt.
This is ultimately the same answer as given to question 1.

3- because Jupiter is only 3 different from paper(glass), I know that many things have changed I saw the code.
Unclear what you're trying to say here. Jupiter in WHM as well as in cPanel moved to new technologies under the hood for a number of things throughout the UI's chrome. We did persist individual features' code from the prior version. Many of these areas are up for rewrite or consolidation in the coming years as well.

4- WHY cpanel has difficulty solving silly things as I mentioned in my previous topic

That is why ?
The change you propose would have adverse affects on the readability of interfaces and ultimately cause design regression throughout features whose individual interfaces do not anticipate full screen widths. Should we see prevalent use of widescreen monitors in our analytics, we may reconsider this in the future. I'd encourage those who care deeply about widescreen support to let us know over on features.cpanel.net or to participate in Interface Analytics.

5- BECAUSE cpanel ignores its entire community saying that JUPITER is not GOOD, and I insist on forcing its use, it seems that they don't understand that the problem is not us sysadmins but the customers
Again not sure what you're trying to say here. Not only do we actively engage here in the forums (primarily through @cPRex though often as individuals as well), we also actively engage on the features.cpanel.net site, send out surveys both in the interface and directly, and monitor feedback through tickets and other avenues. We are working to be more responsive to the feedback we gather, and you can read more about those efforts here.

We are usually happy to discuss the reasonings behind decisions we've had to make as well as hear negative feedback where we took a misstep, but don't expect us to do that in response to hostility.

• Love
Reactions: cPRex

Paulus Cobris

Jun 9, 2007
BTW,
Thanks for censuring and removing my inconvenient post...

The situation at hand is all that clear... but its better to just look the other way around...

Keep up the good work...

Best Regards,

Bakugan

Jan 5, 2022
Eua
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
When evaluating the theme support in WHM, we found considerable issues throughout the UX caused by running more than one theme. The economic decision was made to directly modify the current theme, rather than build and maintain two concurrent themes, and to drop semblances of support in this area in the long term.

We intend direct updates to the WHM theme on an on-going bases both in WHM as well as in cPanel. Future changes will be iterative in nature and not as shocking as this first change.

This is ultimately the same answer as given to question 1.

Unclear what you're trying to say here. Jupiter in WHM as well as in cPanel moved to new technologies under the hood for a number of things throughout the UI's chrome. We did persist individual features' code from the prior version. Many of these areas are up for rewrite or consolidation in the coming years as well.

The change you propose would have adverse affects on the readability of interfaces and ultimately cause design regression throughout features whose individual interfaces do not anticipate full screen widths. Should we see prevalent use of widescreen monitors in our analytics, we may reconsider this in the future. I'd encourage those who care deeply about widescreen support to let us know over on features.cpanel.net or to participate in Interface Analytics.

Again not sure what you're trying to say here. Not only do we actively engage here in the forums (primarily through @cPRex though often as individuals as well), we also actively engage on the features.cpanel.net site, send out surveys both in the interface and directly, and monitor feedback through tickets and other avenues. We are working to be more responsive to the feedback we gather, and you can read more about those efforts here.

We are usually happy to discuss the reasonings behind decisions we've had to make as well as hear negative feedback where we took a misstep, but don't expect us to do that in response to hostility.
I am grateful for the clarifications, these doubts are present since all this started I understand the situation regarding UX problems

But I'm really frustrated, since I set up my company's identity on top of PAPER, it changes to JUPITER okay, but my displeasure is in the part that at this moment we can't customize the THEME, what's available is not possible to set up a visual identity

I think they could at least release for the more experienced a way to customize their terms as they want until cpanel concludes what it's doing

Unfortunately cpanel doesn't give deadlines for this freedom in customization, we don't know if it will be 1 month or 1 year from now
It is difficult to destroy all the identity and practicality created on a layout.

If you have a deadline I would be very grateful.

Regarding the adjustment for wide screen monitors, I don't see it as a negative impact, I didn't even notice differences in the various monitors I have with such a modification.

martin MHC

Sep 14, 2016
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator

That is why ?

I would hate to bring to the table professional and decades long experience with website development but perhaps the cPanel team who are working on this update can use a modern concept such as Flexibox CSS design or even stacked inline boxes, whereby there's no need to set a specified maximum width size.

Further, CPanel can still apply this maximum width clarification to only certain entities; and/or set a maximum width in situations where there's a widescreen display:

width: 100%;
max-width: 2100px /* or other dimension that exceeds single screen width */

You know you can even use @media queries to only set a wider view on screens that are not widescreens; seriously, the possibilities are limitless if you choose to actually build on them....

Reactions: AzeDK and Bakugan

cPanelAdamF

cPanel Product Owner
Staff member
Mar 21, 2013
Houston TX
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
For those interested in the reintroduction of a filter to the left nav, here's what that looks like. So far as I know, this is not currently in any public build but it should arrive soon (last few rounds of QA and then merge procedures left to do).

View attachment 77365

Couple of things of note:
  • It uses the same search algorithm as found in cPanel & WHM 98 and older for now. In a future version we are going to update that algorithm to make it more tolerant of typos and we'll sneak some more metadata about each link into the search index than before.
  • It does not replace the search in the top navigation. That search will remain there and we'll continue to work on making that area more and more useful. (Not sure if anyone noticed yet, but it now returns Accounts in addition to features)
  • Keyboard navigation should be roughly the same as in cPanel & WHM v98. Note the new keyboard shortcut to jump into this search, though.
You can track which versions this arrives in by looking for PH-18009 in our changelogs. I suspect this arrives in v104 (which is in EDGE right now) and then goes through a backport process to arrive in v102.
This has now arrived on our CURRENT tier in version 102.0.12 (changelogs here)

Reactions: Spirogg and cPRex

cPanelAdamF

cPanel Product Owner
Staff member
Mar 21, 2013
Houston TX
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
I am grateful for the clarifications, these doubts are present since all this started I understand the situation regarding UX problems

But I'm really frustrated, since I set up my company's identity on top of PAPER, it changes to JUPITER okay, but my displeasure is in the part that at this moment we can't customize the THEME, what's available is not possible to set up a visual identity

I think they could at least release for the more experienced a way to customize their terms as they want until cpanel concludes what it's doing

Unfortunately cpanel doesn't give deadlines for this freedom in customization, we don't know if it will be 1 month or 1 year from now
It is difficult to destroy all the identity and practicality created on a layout.

If you have a deadline I would be very grateful.

Regarding the adjustment for wide screen monitors, I don't see it as a negative impact, I didn't even notice differences in the various monitors I have with such a modification.
Glad to be of help. I sympathize about the timing of Jupiter and setting up your company's visual identity. We knew we were going to have customers in that spot. If you'd like to stay on Paper Lantern, we're maintaining LTS support for it in v102 through the 2023-Q2 timeframe. I hope that gives you a wide window of time to make a plan.

Customization support for Jupiter in :2083 (end-user interface) is an area I'd like to return to and improve. In v102 and later, we have the WHM » Home » cPanel » Customizations feature which supports both Jupiter and Paper Lantern...but the items you can customize in Jupiter needs expansion to truly enable everyone to set up a great experience for their users. (There's been plenty of demand for customizing the icons. With support for that in place you'd be able to return to Paper Lantern's icons if you prefer that.) The future is a bit hazy at the moment (lots of cool things in the pipeline) so I'm not really able to predict when we can return to this.

As far as deadlines go, here's how the certain parts of the future plays out:

TimingExpectation
Nowv102 continues into the STABLE and LTS tiers.
v104 continues to rollout through the non-LTS tiers.
The responses to community feedback arrive in v102 and v104 as we finish and certify them.
Our translation team begins a complete retranslation effort.
Next few monthsv100 drops out of support.
v94 is replaced with v102 on our LTS tier.
Paper Lantern for :2083 appears in 102 LTS and 104-106.
Development on v106 begins to wrap up. Any undelivered responses to feedback not yet backported will be retargeted to v106.
~2022-Q3v108 arrives on our EDGE tier with Paper Lantern for :2083 removed (as described here).
Completed translations begin to arrive to all supported versions (including v102).
~2023-Q1v110, our next LTS candidate begins arriving on EDGE.
~2023-Q2v110 enters our LTS tier, displacing v102 and ending all support for Paper Lantern for :2083.

This is all fluid, though, so please look for updated expectations from us as these timeframes approach.

Last edited:
Reactions: shenzy

Samet Chan

Jun 24, 2016
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Glad to be of help. I sympathize about the timing of Jupiter and setting up your company's visual identity. We knew we were going to have customers in that spot. If you'd like to stay on Paper Lantern, we're maintaining LTS support for it in v102 through the 2023-Q2 timeframe. I hope that gives you a wide window of time to make a plan.

Customization support for Jupiter in :2083 (end-user interface) is an area I'd like to return to and improve. In v102 and later, we have the WHM » Home » cPanel » Customizations feature which supports both Jupiter and Paper Lantern...but the items you can customize in Jupiter needs expansion to truly enable everyone to set up a great experience for their users. (There's been plenty of demand for customizing the icons. With support for that in place you'd be able to return to Paper Lantern's icons if you prefer that.) The future is a bit hazy at the moment (lots of cool things in the pipeline) so I'm not really able to predict when we can return to this.

TimingExpectation
The responses to community feedback arrive in v102 and v104 as we finish and certify them.
Development on v106 begins to wrap up. Any undelivered responses to feedback not yet backported will be retargeted to v106.
~2022-Q3v108 arrives on our EDGE tier with Paper Lantern for :2083 removed (as described here).
Completed translations begin to arrive to all supported versions (including v102).
~2023-Q2v110 enters our LTS tier, displacing v102 and ending all support for Paper Lantern for :2083.

This is all fluid, though, so please look for updated expectations from us as these timeframes approach.
Come on, Don't remove the paper lantern again, let customers choose their own choice importantly, or they will never pay cPanel and lost their own license in a few months, just like Netflix when you pay a subscription if you share your friends and you have to pay for $$ extra charging from Netflix, now they lost over 2 million for increasing the cost.

You increased your own price for the cPanel license and limits the domain 5x total back in july 2019.
Now you removed the style for customers who have a choice and lost their own style template and stuff from paper lantern and retro in 2022?

I'm very surprised what cPanel would remove or Lack of interest/features in another 3 years.

Bakugan

Jan 5, 2022
Eua
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner

TimingExpectation

I see this deadline of up to 2023 as an okay time.

However, I don't see a deadline for cpanel to make Jupiter really customizable with a functional documentation.

This point is really worrying, even because of the rumors of the merging of plesk with cpanel.

They could really give a possible prediction of the future of cpanel and when jupiter can really be modified at the development level and not only by WHM

Reactions: Samet Chan

tandyuk

Dec 18, 2003
Worthing, UK
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
I can promise this is absolutely not a thing that is going to happen.
They why do you seem to be actively trying to destroy WHM/Cpanel?
The new ui is atrocious - and given the timescales mentioned earlier, its simply going to speed up our migration away from Cpanel in general.

Congrats on doing a great job of destroying what was the go-to control panel for hosting.

I wont waste my breath with suggestions, they never get listened to anyway in my experience - I'll just vote with my wallet instead!

anton_latvia

PartnerNOC
May 11, 2004
Latvia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator

He wanted to say, that in general developers and analysts of cPanel are not listening to opinion of users - system administrators. While you provide tools for us to express our feelings about cPanel as a product - over many years - many of us see constant lack of attention or impact on our opinion - especially if it does not suit cPanel. It is indeed hard to tell, who stands behind this strategy and global cPanel development, but that person or group of people do not care of our opinion and is not focused on it. Feature-request section is there - but even features with many positive votes are being closed as 'not planned'.

@cPanelAdamF - may I ask a public question - do you, as developers/analysts understand our frustration of new half-baked and forced UI, that we were presented without any alternative and for our own money? Could you apologize for this - i mean for these quite negative emotions and frustration, that we suddenly got and have to live with?

And I strongly believe most users of cPanel do not visit this thread and do not express their feelings. They just swallow it.