In Progress 102 EDGE Version new whm theme

WorkinOnIt

Aug 3, 2016
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I think the issue is a classic "shoot yourself in the foot" problem....

1) Lack of clear communication: 4 months ago, cPanel should have been notifying inside the whm - perhaps at the top (INSTEAD of commercials?) "head's up - WHM theme is changing - see the blog for all the details" - with a link to a detailed article explaining why..... and perhaps even asking for feedback or "what do you love/hate" BEFORE forcing it on users.... I know there was a notification for the cPanel theme, but I was not aware of one for WHM.

2) Annoying your customers by focussing on something like this WHM change (and cPanel change) when so many people want cPanel Dev team to instead concentrate on delivering much needed features requests such as for example: Load Balancing - something that has been requested for nearly 10 years..... (sidenote: yes, I can see there is an update on LB which is rather vague - though interesting to see a delivery date of Q4 2022 mentioned... we shall see how realistic that is after waiting ten yrs)

While it appears the cPanel team are a bit gungho - I would like to thank you for listening and taking on board the requests to add back in the useful features to v102.

JoseDieguez

PartnerNOC
Jan 26, 2016
Chile
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@anton_latvia, @tandyuk, you are correct 1000%

I'll vote for my wallet more than cPanel's new UI, this is farewell... Canceling cPanel license.
yeah.. i don't think many can do what you are saying... i mean, i can't force thousands of clients and tens of thousands of websites to move from cpanel to other panel because of this. lol.

if you have a server for 1 site for yourself, then sure, if you don't like cpanel UI changes, vote with your money and change the software used. i wouldn't use Cpanel for 1 site only, too much money for 1 site. But i have thousands of clients who also vote with their money to prefer Cpanel.

tandyuk

Dec 18, 2003
Worthing, UK
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
yeah.. i don't think many can do what you are saying... i mean, i can't force thousands of clients and tens of thousands of websites to move from cpanel to other panel because of this. lol.

if you have a server for 1 site for yourself, then sure, if you don't like cpanel UI changes, vote with your money and change the software used. i wouldn't use Cpanel for 1 site only, too much money for 1 site. But i have thousands of clients who also vote with their money to prefer Cpanel.
We look after thousands of websites, largely via resellers, and have already had numerous complaints from our resellers over this new theme, which no notice was given for, nor choice about whether we wanted.
We have been actively working on migration away from cpanel for some time anyway, due to the new licensing model, so this isnt a big shock for our clients, and one they are largely happy with - this change has just kicked that migration up another gear.

Reactions: wswd

sangeeths

May 25, 2021
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey folks, any ETA on UI includes feature? Has it landed already? Noticed in 102 changelog: Fixed case PH-17699: Add a Content Include system to Jupiter. but the stuff in /var/cpanel/customizations/includes still don't load.

sangeeths

May 25, 2021
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks a ton @cPRex. Also, is something similar to home_page_header.html.tt is in the works or should we now detect that with JS? We were using this previously along with global_header.html.tt but I think only the latter was included as cpanel_jupiter_header.html.tt in Jupiter.

Is there anything exposed on the frontend that could help us differentiate?

Spirogg

Feb 21, 2018
chicago
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@cPRex @cPanelAdamF

are we going to have in jupiter
The option to add links on the left navigation menu or is that somehow an option now that I’m not seeing ?? In WHM we have all that why not in cPanel
Do I have to enable that somewhere ?

thanks
SPIRO

Spirogg

Feb 21, 2018
chicago
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I don't have anything official on those left menu options just yet, but it's something our team is working on.
Will there be links there as a default. Like in WHM ? Not admin adding links. Just links in the left nav menu

would be nice to mimic WHM's left nav menu with the search box top left under the to logo so there is uniformity..

- Also is there a way to get a link menu example

cPanel home/domains/Redirects
cPanel home/security/SSL-TLS Status

On all the top pages of cPanel
like in WHM we have this and it makes it much easier and faster to get to what we want.
So we don’t have to keep going back to home and scrolling down again.

so if I was at home/security/ ssh access
I could click on home/security
and see a separate page with all those options

like this

Screenshot 2022-04-27 145802.jpg

this is a buzz killer to have to click on cPanel again to scroll back down. :(

here is cPanel no Links home /whatever /whatever
Screenshot 2022-04-27 145205.jpg

here is WHM with Links which is nice

Screenshot 2022-04-27 145100.jpg

Last edited:

cPanelAdamF

cPanel Product Owner
Staff member
Mar 21, 2013
Houston TX
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
@Spirogg As @cPRex said, we are indeed thinking about that sidebar in :2083 and the potential for that open space. To set some expectations, we have a few projects on tap to end out the year that will have to come first, so there's lots of time for open discussion about what would be best for that area with everyone.

Reactions: Spirogg and cPRex

martin MHC

Sep 14, 2016
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
we have a few projects on tap to end out the year that will have to come first, so there's lots of time for open discussion about what would be best for that area with everyone.
That's great, but if you're already wanting to remove Paper Lantern as of now, that feels like there will be a big gap time-wise between what is currently in place on Paper Lantern and a finalised completed design for Jupitar.

Of course, CPanel could retain Paper Lantern until these discussions are completed and Jupitar is actually ready?

cPanelAdamF

cPanel Product Owner
Staff member
Mar 21, 2013
Houston TX
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Maintaining two themes simultaneously AND asking you all to plan mass-migrations is very costly in terms of time and effort for all involved. I've managed two of these situations now (when X3 was retired, and now with Paper Lantern's retirement) and I certainly don't have the stomach for this approach any more.

Earlier in the thread, someone demanded an apology from me; if I was to offer one, it would be that I personally should have pushed harder to make changes directly to Paper Lantern rather than the path we took. This would have been a different kind of disruptive but perhaps one a bit easier to tolerate as we modernize the UX and invite new users of all skill levels into the fold.

I say all that to say this...

Starting with Jupiter, we are moving from a "every few years, replace the previous theme outright." stance to a "improve the user interface continuously" stance. There will be no pronouncement of Jupiter having been "completed". Please do not wait for that.

ITHKBO

Jun 23, 2020
Netherlands
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I am glad to say that the frustration in our team while using 102 has decreased significantly compared to Jupiter release from last couple of months.
The biggest contributor to this decrease is the reintroduction of the left filterfield in WHM
There are a few points that I am receiving complaints about which I have to agree are still annoying.

Top right buttons Server menu, Notifications menu should be toggled and not disappear by clicking in the screen.

Notification center should either open in a new tab or take the user back to the previous screen after the viewing is done.

Load averages should be visible all the time. (confirmed to be in development thank you for that)

Blue overlay during search field usage should be either dropped or possible to disable it for WHM, cPanel logged in users.

Filter function in cPanel Tools should be preferably be restored like the filter function is in WHM.

Those are the main remaining issues I hear about. Don't get me wrong I hear a lot of other complaints of our users but none of those impact productivity or resolve any confusion compared to v100 which is primary our focus.

With regards to any formal or non formal apology, while the launch was a absolute disaster for all parties involved I am glad we have the opportunity to input feedback and actively seeing some of it being either implemented or taken under consideration. I personally have far worse experiences with certain vendors on this regard. That does not mean there is no room for improvement but personally I do feel our voice as company is heard to some degree.

I am also glad to hear that we are closing a chapter with regards to theme deprecation. While I am sure a lot of people rather had Paper Lantern being the turning point instead of Jupiter (us being one of them) this will save a lot of time in the future for all involved parties.
I rather have this to look forward to than any public apology.

I would how ever suggest the team to open a sticky thread per big release tier change in the future. The reason for it being to gather feedback and open the discussion about any upcoming changes. While from a analytic point of view I understand the need to have a guided surveys they rarely unearth actual user frustration. Not only that it might help a bit with keeping the forums clean it also shows that feedback is not only actively welcomed but also that some feedback is taken into consideration.

We all know that any release with or without a controversial change will cause such a thread to show up anyway, so it might as well be done by the vendor in a controlled and easy identifiable manner.

martin MHC

Sep 14, 2016
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Earlier in the thread, someone demanded an apology from me; if I was to offer one, it would be that I personally should have pushed harder to make changes directly to Paper Lantern rather than the path we took. This would have been a different kind of disruptive but perhaps one a bit easier to tolerate as we modernize the UX and invite new users of all skill levels into the fold.

I say all that to say this...

Starting with Jupiter, we are moving from a "every few years, replace the previous theme outright." stance to a "improve the user interface continuously" stance. There will be no pronouncement of Jupiter having been "completed". Please do not wait for that.

Thank you @cPanelAdamF this is actually really positive to read.

cPanelAdamF

cPanel Product Owner
Staff member
Mar 21, 2013
Houston TX
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Hi, not sure if this is in the works already or not, but would like to recommend adding an "x" to the left side search bar to clear the search box.

View attachment 77745

Thanks!
We have a fix for this arriving in PH-18039, which should hit v106 first and then be backported from there to 104 and 102.