The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

11.25 and MySQL 4.1

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by sparek-3, Sep 18, 2009.

1. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Will MySQL 4.1 continue to work with cPanel 11.25? Has it been test with cPanel 11.25?

I just have a couple of client servers that are still running MySQL 4.1. I would just as prefer to upgrade those to MySQL 5.0, but they are not servers that I run, I just manage them. If cPanel 11.25 will not work with MySQL 4.1, then this would provide a good reason to do the upgrade on those servers.

I noted in the 11.25 release notes:

(page 25 of the release notes)

and that made me wonder if MySQL 4.1 is compatible with 11.25.

2. MattCurry

MattCurry Well-Known Member

MySQL 4.1

Hello,

In order to really give you a good answer I would have to get more information on your install. This can be done, but unless this is a new machine it will cause problems. Please specify what you are trying to accomplish.

Thank you,
    Matthew Curry

3. sparek-3

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What kind of information?

This is a cPanel server that had MySQL 4.1 installed on it, but was never upgraded to MySQL 5.0. It used to be, cPanel instaleld MySQL 4.1 when it was installed. I suppose now it installs MySQL 5.0 (even before 4.1 it installed 4.0). If you had an older server, one that was not installed with cPanel and MySQL 5.0, it would have installed MySQL 4.1. The upgrade to MySQL 5.0 is an optional upgrade. /scripts/upcp does not automatically upgrade MySQL to 5.0, you have to specifically change the cpanel configuration and run /scripts/mysqlup to upgrade MySQL.

I'm not sure what other information you need.

I'm just wanting to know if MySQL 4.1 will work with cPanel 11.25. I understand that as newer and newer software is developed that older and older software becomes obsolete. I understand that cPanel 11.25 is a rather significant upgrade. It is probably doubtful that cPanel 11.25 has been tested on a MySQL 4.1 system. Are there specific routines in cPanel 11.25 that require a MySQL 5.0 database server in order to work properly?

I am wanting to know about this beforehand. If the servers need to be MySQL 5.0 before installing cPanel 11.25, then I want to upgrade those servers to MySQL 5.0 before upgrading to cPanel 11.25.

4. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I am running 4.1 on one of my test machines without issue (running 11.25.1 beta).

5. Gene Steinberg

Gene Steinberg Well-Known Member

I have a question that's the reverse.

Are you folks going to begin to support and allow updates to MySQL 5.1, now in a GA version, and PHP 5.3.

More and more software is designed for these two versions, so when will we see them made available?

Peace,
    Gene

6. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The scripts removed have long ago been supplanted by /scripts/mysqlup. Since the older scripts had various defects and no longer served a purpose, they were removed.

7. sparek-3

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    nick, kenneth,

Thanks that is what I was wanting to know.

8. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We'll clarify that in the release notes to prevent further confusion. Thank you for raising this issue.

9. Kent Brockman

Kent Brockman Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi there. MySQL Extended Support ends on 2009-12-31:
    MySQL :: MySQL Lifecycle Policy

I wanted to know if this will impact on mysql support from within cPanel. I guess you all folks will recommend the upgrade. What have you planned for the 4.1 branch?

10. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There are no plans at this time to remove support for MySQL 4.1, nor for MySQL 4.0.

11. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi Guys

I just did a new isntall of 11.25, but client has scripts not compatible with mysql 5.0. I did what I normally do which is to change the cpanel config manually to 4.1 and run mysqlup and this did downgrade mysql, however, horde is broken, reporting errors that th tables were created in a newer version of mysql and they cannot be read or dumped.

Is there a fix for that?

12. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Important cPanel/WHM Version Number Designation Change

Please Note: Important cPanel/WHM Version Number Designation Change

As of July 28, 2010 the cPanel/WHM version number designations have been officially changed.

Version 11.25.1 is now designated 11.28 and version 11.25.2 is now designated 11.30.

These new changes were explained in some detail recently at the July 2010 - Quarterly Road map - Webinar direct from cPanel's PodCast Studio in Houston, Texas with speakers David Grega and Mario Rodriguez.

An official press release about these changes is forthcoming and can be accessed at this link as soon as it's made available to the Forum Team:
    Important cPanel/WHM Version Number Designation Change (To be updated)

This post serves to update users who are subscribed to threads (where this message is posted) looking forward to upcoming enhancements in future versions of cPanel.

13. Gene Steinberg

Gene Steinberg Well-Known Member

Is there by any chance a release date for the CURRENT and RELEASE branches for 11.28?

Peace,
    Gene