Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

[11.25 Current] apache restarting every hour

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by iscandr, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Please submit a support request so that we may examine the server directly; this will help greatly so that we can properly diagnose and fully investigate the reported symptoms. The following page may be used to initiate a ticket submission (Additional Support Options); alternatively, WHM may also be used via the following menu path: WHM: Main >> Support >> Support Center >> Contact cPanel. When available, please send me your ticket ID number (e.g., via a PM) so I may follow-up internally.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #141 cPanelDon, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  2. ljesh

ljesh Well-Known Member

In that case, can you take a look at ticket #558745 ?
    If you do that, you will see that you (cPanel) are not really interested in solving this issue which I find the most disturbing for webhosts.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    To help ensure the utmost quality of service I have brought your ticket to my manager's attention for internal review. Please know that we take the reported issues very seriously and are examining all possible angles for refinements and additional enhancements. We understand the concern involved; I assure you this is a top priority and that we are working expeditiously on further improvements to fully alleviate the difficulty being experienced. Your patience and understanding is greatly appreciated.

4. ljesh

ljesh Well-Known Member

I was (still am in fact) very angry because the tech didn't even take a look at the issue but just gave me a blank reply like "it's normal for apache to restart in 20 seconds - 20 minutes intervals (which cause me alot of troubles)" and didn't even log in to my WHM, but I hope this issue gets solved ASAP.
    We are webhosts. We need apache. Stable apache. Apache for me (I believe for all webhosts) is in top priority. Nothing has priority above it.

Thanks for your time and for bringing your manager's attention to that ticket.

5. pjman

pjman Well-Known Member

Any Update on this?

I'm running 11.25 Release latest version. Every since the 42400 build came online on 1/14 I constantly get a shooting load on high traffic times. Apache because slow and at times unresponsive. Also about half the RAM usuage is gone. It barely uses any RAM.

I noticed this change in behavior about 15 minutes after that new release version was added.

6. trhosting.net

trhosting.net Well-Known Member

I don't know what is changed but after upgrading to 42400 (64bit), apache started to restarting periodically and it became unreacheable 3-4 times a day.

Before upgrade we don't have any problems after setting log schedules and disabling log rotation.
    After upgrade, no settings are changed but we are having problems.

I attached daily and weekly mrtg graphs, you can see the problem there.
    We upgraded on saturday.

As i said i don't know it is related with upgrade but problems started after upgrade.

EDIT: both statistic schedules are set to 24 hours and log rotations (all) are disabled.

Web Traffic Statistics every 24 hours
    Bandwidth Statistics every 24 hours

Code:
    Current Time: Monday, 18-Jan-2010 21:22:07 EET
    Restart Time: Monday, 18-Jan-2010 17:41:44 EET
    Parent Server Generation: 13
    Server uptime: 3 hours 40 minutes 23 seconds
    Total accesses: 657141 - Total Traffic: 19.8 GB
    CPU Usage: u32.01 s32.02 cu651.23 cs0 - 5.41% CPU load
    49.7 requests/sec - 1.5 MB/second - 31.5 kB/request
    192 requests currently being processed, 82 idle workers
    WKW__RWKCWCWWK_CW_KC_K_WK__WKWKWWKW__.WW__WWK__W_KCKRK_WKK.WWKK_
    WW__.W._WC_W_.KW.K.K.WK.._K_.W.C.W..W_RW.K_WKKKWWCCW._WW._._.._.
    _.WW.WK....W.C_.._._CW_KW._..WK_WC.W_.._K__._KW.W_.K._K..C.W_KWW
    .KKW_C...K_._WWKKW.._K...W.K_W..CKW_.K...CW...._....W._K_.._..._
    W.._.CWW.W..WW..K..WK.KWK_.C_._.W_.___.KW__..W...W.._W._W.....K.
    .WW___....._..WW..WW.__WW_.K.W.W.C_.R.W..W_.K.KK.WWWW_WWWW.W._.W
    .WW__KCCW.WCWK.WKWW_WWW.....G...................................

Attached Files:

#146 trhosting.net, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  7. pjman

pjman Well-Known Member

It's a Cpanel bug all the way.

I know many people are reporting this. I reverted on of the new servers back to Stable and the problems instantly stopped.

I know they are working hard at it. I just have no idea why they would push this bug to the Release version?

8. Misiek

Misiek Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    cPanel Team any ETA on this issue ?? Help us with this anoying problem

9. jack01

jack01 Well-Known Member

Empasis on "anoying problem" ...

10. bounceweb

bounceweb Member

I'm having the same issues, and yes it's not the best situation, but I've met the cPanel guys a few months ago, and it's a guarantee that once they know (and they know) there is a problem they are going to fix it. :D

11. trhosting.net

trhosting.net Well-Known Member

I think the best solution for this is reverting back to the old system, while working on a fix for this issue.
    I don't understand why cPanel didn't make a temporary solution like this.

Lots of people having problem when cPanel is working on this issue and there is no ETA for fixing this issue.

12. InterServed

InterServed Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I haven't experienced any of the described issues:
    Server Version: Apache/2.2.14 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.14 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635
    Server Built: Dec 28 2009 13:02:21
    Current Time: Tuesday, 19-Jan-2010 16:37:01 EET
    Restart Time: Saturday, 16-Jan-2010 21:20:50 EET
    Parent Server Generation: 26
    Server uptime: 2 days 19 hours 16 minutes 10 seconds
    Total accesses: 2510241 - Total Traffic: 58.9 GB

cPanel 11.25.0-C42404

13. pjman

pjman Well-Known Member

I think the bug is focused on individual high traffic sites.

I have a high traffic site that throttles a high output from Monday thru Friday. Sat and Sun it's light on traffic. On Monday thru Friday I have the problem. This weekend, no problems at all.

InterServed looks like you have a good bit data being transferred. But, do you have a single account that has tons of traffic?

I'm thinking Cpanel put something in Release build that stops individual sites from being resource hogs?

14. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Investigating resource usage and server load issues

Any such behavior would be specific to the individual system configurations and applicable software customizations and is not inherently performed by cPanel/WHM.

Inquiries for investigating load and unique server resource usage issues are best suited for the following forums area: cPanel and WHM Optimization - cPanel Forums

I will move your post momentarily and reply in the new thread to assist further; for reference, here is the new thread: High load issues - cPanel Forums

Moderator Note: Please remember to keep the discussion on-topic; this thread is about specific difficulty with Apache graceful restarts triggered by log processing while using cPanel 11.25.0.

#154 cPanelDon, Jan 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  15. pjman

pjman Well-Known Member

Discussion Move.

Don, I completely understand that this should have been discussed in: cPanel and WHM Optimization - cPanel Forums

I placed a thread in there last week when it started. No one looks in that forum area at all since you guys switched up the forum. As a result, I got no feedback at all. I just got referred to this thread.

Since I posted here, I got a great amount of feedback. I now know many people are having the same issue since 11.25 R went Build 42400. Makes me feel better that this not an issue related to my own unique situation.

16. skratchit

skratchit Member

Solved (maybe)

This problem has been bugging me (and my users) for a few days. I think I've managed to fix it on my server.

DISCLAIMER: This is speculation.

It seems to be related to the logs in "/usr/local/apache/logs"

By default I believe these are set to be rotated when they get to 300 MB (if checked in "Service Configuration >> Apache Configuration >> Log Rotation" in WHM).

I think their file sizes are checked every 15 mins.

What seems to be happening is that over 300 MB they get copied / appended and Gzipped to "/usr/local/apache/logs/archive/" and Apache is gracefully restarted. But the original file is not emptied.

So, 15 minutes later the log is rotated _again_ because it is still over 300 MB. And so the cycle continues.

I've just renamed my logs that were over 300 MB and created empty ones and restarted Apache and it has successfully not restarted for 40 minutes (when it was restarting every 15-17 mins).

17. racakg

racakg Member

18. InterServed

InterServed Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    This isn't the case , i have a lot of accounts ( including resellers and each having 50+ accounts ).

19. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Aside from the restart, the above has been the behavior since the cPanel 10 era ( maybe earlier ).

We've changed this behavior in our development builds, and the change will be in the next builds of 11.25.0.

You are correct that the rotation threshold is 300 MB. Unfortunately the way the rotation logic works in all production builds is:

1. Does the log exceed the threshold ( even by one byte )?

2. If yes then shrink the log to the threshold

3. If no then move on

We changed the logic to:

1. Does the log exceed the threshold ( even by one byte )?

2. If yes then shrink to 0 [*]

3. If no then move on

Proper archiving/rotation is retained when the file is truncated to 0-length.

[*] This only applies to the service logs (/usr/local/apache/logs). For the domain logs ( /usr/local/apache/domlogs) the threshold is 1 GB. When log rotation is requested for these logs the logic change will reduce the file to 500 MB. We will readdress this particular logic later as there are other parts of the product that need changed to work properly with a 0-length domain log.

We are also exposing the service log rotation threshold in the WHM, rather than requiring you to modify the cPanel configuration file manually.

20. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.