The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

11.32.x Stable?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by optize, Apr 19, 2012.

1. optize

optize Well-Known Member

2. JayFromEpic

JayFromEpic Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I honestly don't believe it is ready for release to stable. There is still some issues that are coming up from upgrading. If you have a new box and it comes with 11.32, you should be fine, but other then that, im still a bit eery about releasing it on all of my servers for my customers to use. So far we have 4 servers with 11.32 and we have had a 60% increase in support tickets because of it.

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I'd be interested in what those tickets are about. Big updates like this, many changes. But most issues I've seen were solved by forcing an update again.

The article you mention is titled wrong I think. Here is the correct announcement:
    cPanel Releases cPanel & WHM 11.32 to the RELEASE tier

You can see what Release versions are out for each Tier from this page down near the bottom:
    Downloads - cPanel Inc.

I'll see if I can get that News piece updated properly.

4. JayFromEpic

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    From what I have observed, a majority of the issues are from cookies/cache changes with cPanel. I will get together a report and send it on over to cPanel if you would like. Im all about helping out!

5. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    My point being of course, you should never feel "a bit eery" about STABLE Tier. Cookie issues are easily solved, user side of things.

The article in the first post will be updated. STABLE was to be released but they ran into a snag and it's been pushed back till next week.

My apologies for the confusion on this.

6. JayFromEpic

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It would have been nice for cPanel to give us all a heads up on what to expect with the new update. What sort of issues are going to happen and so forth. That is all im saying.

There was other issues as well, don't get me wrong. Had a few modules break, and so forth. Had to re-update the system with more lag that my customers had to deal with and so on.

But to be honest with you, that is the first and only complaint I really have for cPanel. If you guys could make a little check list kinda like side effects with meds on what could happen, that would allow all hosting providers and site owners to know what to expect.

7. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    They do have a list, it's called cPanel News. You might like to join that mailing list here:
    cPanel News Mailing List - cPanel Inc.

On the main page here: cPanel Inc. you see a button called "See New Features" that message has been there for a while now.

I think this might be sort of tough to guess at what issues every server running cPanel on is going to come up against. But this is what cPanel's Tier system is all about.

I run all the most popular addons available for WHM, I had no issues there what so ever. But, if you're speaking of Logaholic, that's brand new. cPanel 11.32 not that that excuses any problems encountered by some on these forums, but its brand new to cPanel all the same. I personally would expect some small issues along the way.

No clues what you mean by more lag, so can't comment there.

If you're uncomfortable with your system updating with newer Features you'd rather not deal with as far as problems that might come up, you might want to consider moving to LTS support Tier:
    cPanel & WHM Versions and the Release Process

Or, set your system to update manually once you've had time to catch up on the latest news. cPanel news, Linux News, your specific modules news etc.

cPanel can do a lot, but it can't replace you and me, the Administrators that need to stay on top of the news that affects us. That's our job.

8. JayFromEpic

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I see what your getting at Infopro. What I meant by lag is increased load times while the updates are running.

All of my servers are manually updated, I never have automatic updates one, its to much of a risk on a shared hosting environment to be honest.

I know its impossible to know what can and cannot go wrong during an update. But if for example, the way cookies are treated changes, thats something that would be nice to know.

I do read a lot of news on cPanel from Twitter, but I will subscribe to the mailing list to see what actually comes out.

9. optize

optize Well-Known Member

10. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    There is no lack of communication here, you'll just have to trust me on that.