The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

11.52 exim/spamd/nscd

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by cbcast, Nov 15, 2015.

1. cbcast

cbcast Member

I'm on the RELEASE tier. Since the update to 11.52 a few weeks ago, I've periodically been receiving alert messages that the spamd service is unavailable and restart attempts have failed. So I have to SSH in and issue a 'service exim restart' to fix it.

ps says the spamd process is running, however I do see errors in exim_paniclog about socket timeouts. It also appears that exim isn't delivering mail even though there's activity in exim_mainlog (mostly incoming garbage from spammers). My spamd startup config is 2 idle, 12 max and 25 connections per child. This worked beautifully on 11.50 with all the junk we get.

Now today I get an alert that spamd failed and restart failed. And then 10-15 minutes later, nscd has failed and couldn't be restarted. dmesg says nscd segfaulted. ps says both services are running, however I had to manually issue a restart on both before checkservd reported them up.

My cPanel server is on CentOS 6 64-bit bare metal with dual 6-core HT Xeons and 24GB of RAM, so there's plenty horsepower. Everything was happy on 11.50, so I'm thinking the introduction of nscd with 11.52 is the issue here.

I know that setuids are issued for spamd, so is this possibly a loading issue on nscd? Can and should I disable nscd?

2. cbcast

cbcast Member

OK, now I see that I can disable NSCD in WHM>Service Manager. Did that. Hopefully it's not enabled again when upcp runs next time. And hopefully that will stop the exim and spamd issues.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Please also note the following thread regarding SpamAssasin failures:

'spamd' bottleneck after update

Thank you.