Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

127.0.0.1 cpanel_service keeps connecting to pure-ftpd

Discussion in 'Security' started by Drake, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi All,

We've been watching log files like a hawk, because we just got rid of a Dark Mail cgi issue that was caused by a customer's office PC being infected, probably with a keylogger trojan.

Not seeing any more of the numerous customer user-name login, upload, delete, logout stuff anymore.

But, I'm seeing localhost connecting to and disconnecting from pure-ftpd every few minutes or so.

Can any CPanel Guru tell me what I'm seeing here?? I'd like to know if this is a security issue or not or from chkservd service monitor.

Here's a sample [INFO] from /var/log/messages:

Feb 21 06:13:59 server05 pure-ftpd: (?@127.0.0.1) [INFO] New connection from 127.0.0.1

Feb 21 06:14:10 server05 pure-ftpd: (?@127.0.0.1) [INFO] __cpanel__service__auth__ftpd__597SyxVkJFdyV3dd2OK822c5mMLRsV3CCpJ_4q0
    wsdozSkyaDDIHm5bhcwZKEhKt is now logged in

Feb 21 06:14:11 server05 pure-ftpd: (__cpanel__service__auth__ftpd__597SyxVkJFdyV3dd2OK822c5mMLRsV3CCpJ_4q0wsdozSkyaDDIHm5bhcwZ
    KEhKt@127.0.0.1) [INFO] Logout.

Thanks much,
    ~Drake

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Drake, Feb 21, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter: