The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 hard drives, option to host sites on one or another during creation of account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by octavc, May 9, 2010.

1. octavc

octavc Member

Apr 11, 2010
    I know, this was discussed over and over, but not how I want it.

First, I will explain.

After cpanel install I added one more hdd, mounted it as home2 using whm interface. From that point on, all my sites got moved there - it is normal, from what I understand because whm software usually chooses the hdd with the most available space and this is why the sites got moved, or I suppose the whm software created some symbolic link for the old site initially located in /home and only new sites are actually located in the new hdd.

That's allright, I suppose , but I have one small problem - the second hdd mounted under /home2 is also a scsi hdd, but the /home partition was mounted on 2 scsi hdd connected in Raid1, so a little bit faster and also better to use to prevent data loss, in case one drive fails as opposite to /home2, which is only 1 hdd, so if that one fails, then I have to use the restore backups option from whm, but it means downtime.
    /home and /home2 have approximately the same size as partitions.

So my question : is it possible during a site account creation to choose where it will be located - /home or /home2 . If this is possible, then I would host the static sites, which change the data on them less, on the /home2 , while /home would be used for dynamic sites, where hosted data frequently changes (forums, shops, etc).

I must mention that for backup I use another separate hdd apart from the ones which host the os, /home and /home2