The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 IPs pointing to same nameserver

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by cigarsandtea, Feb 23, 2007.

1. cigarsandtea

cigarsandtea Registered

I screwed things up and now have 2 different IPs pointing the same nameserver. I assume this isn't good. I tried deleting the extra NS through WHM, and although it say that the NS has been delted and the IP is available, it's actualy still there.

I have another issue that may be related. I created a domain account and then later deleted it. The account access has disappeared from the WMC account listings, but when I try to re-create an account for that domain, I'm told that the account already exists.

Is there a way to get back to square one?

#1 cigarsandtea, Feb 23, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  2. aby

aby Well-Known Member

Please check the /var/named dierctory for any zone files corresponding to the nameserver. Delete the one you don't need.

Also you can have a check on /etc/nameserverips to see if it looks correct.

Also about the account issue, How did you delete the account. Did you use the corerct way terminating an account from WHM. Also what exactly the error you get when trying to recreate the account. You might have to remove the zone file, also remove it from /etc/passwd, /etc/group etc according to the error you get.

3. budway

budway Well-Known Member

is this the hostname our a reseller account/dns?

Did you tried deleting the dns zone over WHM (dns section)?

dns/hostname for your server configured (They can be changed over ssh if you know what your doing "This is just for the server not an account our reseller dns).

/etc/resolv.conf
    /etc/named.conf
    /etc/hosts
    /etc/sysconfig/network

4. cigarsandtea

cigarsandtea Registered

Yup, I removed the account and DNS records from WHM. Here's the error message that comes up when I create a new account over the "terminated" domain.

Sorry, that domain is already setup (remove it from httpd.conf : line 1217)

I'm using a VPS and my host has fixed this problem for me twice by deleting the ghost files manually. I've asked how to delete files myself with no response. Should I be able to access root files with a VPS?

I'm having a similar issue assigning IPs that appear to be freed up.