The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Nameservers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by grahammm, Oct 4, 2003.

1. grahammm

grahammm Registered

Hi,
    I ahve just setup whm, and wanted to know if the following two nameservers will wor:

ns1.gm-pcs.co.uk 192.168.0.3
    ns2.gm-pcs.co.uk 82.43.73.85

I own, gm-pcs.co.uk, and if the 192.168.0.3 doesn't worki can I use 82.4373.85, for both?

Thanks in advance

Graham

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. ccccanada

ccccanada Well-Known Member

These should work just fine as long as you have both IP's on your server.

You should also make sure that both nameservers are registered to those IP's.
    This can be done whereever you registered the domain name.

You should not use the same IP for both nameservers as some registration authorities especially in Europe will want two different IP's.

3. GrimReaper

GrimReaper Active Member

Additionally to ccccanada's most correct post, also make sure that if "gm-pcs.co.uk" name servers are not "ns1.gm-pcs.co.uk" and "ns2.gm-pcs.co.uk". E.g. if they are the name servers of your dedicated server provider, make sure that in gm-pcs.co.uk's "A-Records" you specify "ns1.gm-pcs.co.uk" and "ns2.gm-pcs.co.uk" and their corresponding i.p's.

Otherwise you will loose traffic to unknown places. :)

A great DNS checking site is: "dnsstuff.com" good diagnostics in case something goes wrong.

Have fun with name servers and remember it doesn't get much more difficult, your probably at one of the hardest parts.

Oh, and PLEASE secure your server if this is your first one before putting it live.

(Sorry to rant, I just remember setting up my first one as a bit of a fumble).

Chris.