The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 new DnsOnly with Mydns How to test them?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by altomarketing2, Jun 9, 2013.

1. altomarketing2

altomarketing2 Well-Known Member

Hi, we just added 2 new dnsonly servers (with MyDNS-NG) to server our already working dnscluster.

So we have 2 "old" dnsonly servers (bind) and 2 fresh MyDNS-NG servers, working as 4 dnsonly cpanel servers.

How can i test if MyDNS-NG servers are working?, and how many request are they answering ?

we dont want to unplug old servers until we really know that MyDNS-NG are working fine. (they are really old )

Wait your suggestions, thanks

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can use the following command to see if the new servers have the correct DNS Zone content:

Code:
    # dig @IP domain.com
    Simply replace "IP" with the IP address of the new DNS-Only server, and use an actual domain name that has it's DNS handled by your cluster. You could also use a third-party website such as intodns.com to lookup the domain and review any errors with the new servers in the cluster.

Thank you.

3. altomarketing2

altomarketing2 Well-Known Member

Sorry i was not clear about my question. I know how to make a dig, i would like to know without asking directly to the server if it working fine.

I meant, how many queries are answered by my first 2 old bind dnsonly servers, and how many queries are answered by my 2 new fresh MyDNS-NG dnsonly servers ? is there any log about it ?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There are no visual interfaces or logs that provide that data directly. You can enable query logging on the servers using Bind with the following command:

Code:
    # rndc querylog
    You can then monitor the activity in the following file:

Code:
    # /var/log/messages
    Remember to disable query logging when you are finished monitoring the activity by using the same command:

Code:
    # rndc querylog
    Thank you.