The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by X-Istence, Apr 13, 2003.

1. X-Istence

X-Istence Guest

i just created an account for a client and for some reason whenever he tries to send an email thru the system, it gives him a errors:

535 - Incorrect authentication data

He says he uses his main username and can get email fine, but sending gives him that. He uses the same info for the login as the smtp auth.

Second issue is the FTP issue, its when a client cant add new FTP users and login with them. it just refuses them. This has become a problem and i am losing clients because of this.

This is on a FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE, with WHM 6.2.0
    Cpanel 6.2.0-R35

Please help me out. I dont know what to do. And would you all suggest updating to the STABLE tree of cPanel or is that not suggested.

2. manokiss

manokiss Well-Known Member

hi

Hi:
    For the fisrt issue make sure the client have checked the "My server require authentication" option in his email program.

For the second issue use this format like FTP user "username@domain.com", and not only the username.

I hope this help

;)

3. X-Istencedotcom

X-Istencedotcom Well-Known Member

Re: hi

Yes, i have tested both, and it still doesnt work.

I had seen a thread in the same forum, but i dont know if there is a fix for it or not.

This is my second account because for some reason after my email change it cant get to this part of the forum anymore.

4. Tim Greer

Tim Greer Well-Known Member

I have seen this problem. I don't yet know why it happens, bnut the /etc/relayhosts file isn't updated with the IP when the user checks POP email, as it should. Disk space and inodes are fine, permissions and ownership are fine. I stopped all related processes (exim, cppop, antirelayd, Cpanel, etc.) and made sure there was no idle processes for any of them and started them all up.

It made no difference. I then ran the Cpanel update script, just to be sure, and repeated the steps I outlined just above after the upgrade didn't help and that too didn't help. Due to so much of this being closed source I have absolutely no way to see why this is happening, and I'm out of ideas.

5. X-Istencedotcom

cPanel doesnt have the check pop then send email, the server is configured in the way that when the users starts sending an email, it auth's with the server and then sends.

6. Tim Greer

Tim Greer Well-Known Member

I see, but it should offer POP-before-SMTP, and this works on all our servers but one and all of them write to the relay file, other than this one server. And, everything is correct... I'm still trying to figure out how this is related.

Testing to ensure that the "Sending mail/SMTP server requires authentication" doesn't make any difference--yes, with the correct username syntax, SMTP and POP server addresses, passwords, etc. I can authenticate via POP and it never writes to the relay file.

So, it seems both methods are currently failing, be it you rely on SMTP auth or POP-before-SMTP. I've been trying to determine this problem for over an hour, between other support and admin issues and this is frustrating not being able to just look at the code and see what it's trying to do, so I can fix it!

#6 Tim Greer, Apr 14, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2003
  7. X-Istencedotcom

I know how you feel. Its frustrating for sysadmins like yourself and me to not have access to all source code.