The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 server setup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by purplep, Mar 24, 2002.

1. purplep

purplep Well-Known Member

Hi,

I now have my second server in place and am getting a bit confused about the set up.

Heres what i have...

Server 1 (woof.purple-paw.com)
    ns1.purple-paw.com
    ns2.purple-paw.com

Server 2 (set up with name miaow.purple-paw.com)

I have created an A record on server 1 for miaow to point to the main IP of the second server. I have also created nameservers (ns3 and ns4) with the domain registrar. I havent added anything on server1 or server2 concerning these 2 new nameservers.

Is this all I have to do? Will this work? Should miaow.purple-paw.com resolve for pings and traces?

Also, if the above set up is correct, when I add accounts to my new server, will the temporary address for accounts be http://miaow.purple-paw.com?

Thanks for any help!

Also if the above will

2. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

Yes, that A record , provided it is setup right, will propagate down to everybody within a few days of when you added it. You reloaded the nameserver, right?

And, your temp addresses will be:

http://miaow.purple-paw.com/~USERNAME/

(on the second server)

3. purplep

purplep Well-Known Member

Hi,

Thanks. The nameservers and hostname appear to be working fine now. But what about FTP and mail. I presumed ftp.miaow.purple-paw.com and mail.miaow.purple-paw.com would work but they do not. Do I need to add further records on the old server or register these with the domain registrar as well?

Thanks.