The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Servers - 1 cPanel - Load Balancing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davestacey, Jan 31, 2009.

1. davestacey

davestacey Member

Hi,

I currently have a dedicated server, with cpanel, and recently had a network outage, resulting in the ecommerce site being down for several hours.

Not good for business...... So my question is, if i bought a second server with another host, how can i implement a fail safe system, where by

1. The primary server serves the shop 24/7
    2. In the event of a server crash or network failure, i can switch to the secondary server
    3. Can i use 1 cpanel to do this, or do i need 2?
    4. What software would you use to make the switch?
    5. Are there any other better ways to do what i need?

Thanks in advance!

2. pirrup

pirrup Well-Known Member

you will need 2 cpanel licenses ,for each server a license.

Then you will need to setup dns failover (DNS made easy) so when server goes down the dns failover will switch to the other server.

Use rsync to sync all data between the servers .

this is an easy failover setup that works

3. Voltar

Voltar Well-Known Member

From what I've read on here (there are a few threads about this), it can be done. I believe the hardest thing would be having the databases in sync and identical, although that can be alleviated with MySQL replication. The other thing is the cPanel configuration files, and keeping them in sync so if you create an account, it gets created on both servers, etc.

Like said above though, you need a cPanel license for all the boxes involved, except DNS Only boxes (that is, if you decide to use DNS Only).

4. sirotex

sirotex Well-Known Member

Why not just move to a better Network? Problem solved. You shouldn't have to pay more just because your Provider are not reliable.

5. tyuuu

tyuuu Well-Known Member

had anyone do it successfully ?

6. SoftDux

SoftDux Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    sirotex, there's no such thing as a fail safe network, or setup. Even with the most expensive datacentres, you will have downtime. And even if their equipment is all working well, you're single server (with single motherboard, CPU & RAM) can & will fail at some stage. And, networking problems outside the DC (and outside their control) will cause downtime as well.

Has anyone done this kind of setup before? And can you please share your experiences with it? How do you handle the email ID's, and session files?