The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 servers - 1 domain. Need help in dns issue.

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by gundamz, Nov 30, 2004.

1. gundamz

gundamz Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I had domainx.com
    had two servers.
    One of the main and the other act as a backup if the main server went down.

The domain nameserver is updated with both server ip.

How do i go about having the domainX to resolve to main server first and not the backup server? Only when main server went down, domainX will be resolve to backup. I think we need to set up some sync timing or something? I am not so sure.

Current situation is , i had the domainX dns record on both servers. Somehow, the domainX sometimes resolve to backup server and sometimes resolve to main Server.

I do not want this as i run a database. The database is on main server. I only wanted domainX to resolve to backup server when main server is down.

Any experience in this field, please guide me. Thanks.

2. fwwebs

fwwebs Well-Known Member

You need FailOver DNS. FailOver DNS checks the main server at a specific interval and if the server/site is down, it changes the A records to point to the backup server/site. TTL is set to a minimun to avoid DNS cache problems. Your DNS will need to be hosted on a third server. Checkout http://zoneedit.com.