Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

2 servers - 1 domain. Need help in dns issue.

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by gundamz, Nov 30, 2004.

1. gundamz

gundamz Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I had domainx.com
    had two servers.
    One of the main and the other act as a backup if the main server went down.

The domain nameserver is updated with both server ip.

How do i go about having the domainX to resolve to main server first and not the backup server? Only when main server went down, domainX will be resolve to backup. I think we need to set up some sync timing or something? I am not so sure.

Current situation is , i had the domainX dns record on both servers. Somehow, the domainX sometimes resolve to backup server and sometimes resolve to main Server.

I do not want this as i run a database. The database is on main server. I only wanted domainX to resolve to backup server when main server is down.

Any experience in this field, please guide me. Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. fwwebs

fwwebs Well-Known Member

You need FailOver DNS. FailOver DNS checks the main server at a specific interval and if the server/site is down, it changes the A records to point to the backup server/site. TTL is set to a minimun to avoid DNS cache problems. Your DNS will need to be hosted on a third server. Checkout http://zoneedit.com.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...