The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 servers under nat. under same public IP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by octavc, Apr 11, 2010.

1. octavc

octavc Member

I have a problem which is driving me crazy and the support from Cpanel is working too slow to resolve this issue.

From my knowledge Cpanel license is sold/activated per public IP, so when you wish to buy a second license for the same IP, you can't.

I will explain you all my problem I'm having these days with the support from cpanel and the fact that I'm getting bounced from 1 support member to another.

Here is the situation.
    I have one main big server -2 quad xeons on it, 8gb of ram, some few hundred gb of space on it and a second server with smaller specs - a regular quad CPU, 4gb of ram, 150gb of space both in the same location - my office actually.
    I installed on both cpanel and i was able to activate them just fine, no messages there, they even use different host names - one is with host.xxx.com and the second one is backup.xxx.com
    Both are using the internet using the same router, share the same public IP., even the same UPS.

I wanted to use the second server for backup purposes - in case if the first one has a problem - crashes, I need to stop it for some reason, then I would redirect the internet trafic from the router to the second smaller server, where I keep a backup of the sites and emails ( I have mostly static sites, even if they are dynamic the content doesn't change too much, plus the emails are hosted on google apps), every now and then I used the copy accounts feature from the main server to the second server - for my happiness I never needed the second one, first one worked very good.

BUT NOW MY LICENSE HAS BEEN DEACTIVATED after approximately 1 month of using this setup, with the message (The cPanel license server replied that the license has been activated on too many machines.
    Please contact billing@cpanel.net) and I'm struggling with support from Tuesday 06 Apr, now it's Sunday 11 Apr and the problem still has not been solved.
    I got a message this morning from support stating that this particular license can't be reactivated/unlocked and I must speak with my license provider - (which is Cpanel INC by the way, I bought the license from them) and of course I'm sure I will have to wait another 16 hrs until the support member who answered me willg get back to work for another answer from him.

In the meantime i can't use nor whm, nor cpanel, nor webmail interface ( god bless I didn't have emails there) just for the fact that I wanted to have a backup of my sites on a second server.
    It's not like I can use my second server in the same time with the main server - we all know that this can't be possible - there is just 1 port for http transport.
    I was able to do the backup, transfer options only when I was in the office and I was using the internal IP address on the second server.

Did anyone faced the same problem??
    Does anyone have an idea how to solve this- I would have bought a second license but i can't, I don't have another available IP to use.

This licensing system really sucks, at least Microsoft did a better job with their license system - it tells you from the first time if your license is good or not and not after 1 month .

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    There's your problem. If you must have two servers running locally I would think you're going to have to purchase a second dedicated IP from your ISP (expensive) or, get yourself a VPS or small dedicated server somewhere else (very inexpensive) for your backup system if you must run cPanel on it.

Just because your environment is not properly setup for your specific needs (multiple dedicated IPs) or you don't meet the requirements of the cPanel license (a dedicated IP), doesn't mean the licensing system sucks. IMHO.

There is an area on this forum with many offerings from cPanel partners where you should be able to find what you need located here:
    Services from cPanel Partners - cPanel Forums

You cannot run any version of Windows on multiple PCs legally, either.

3. octavc

octavc Member

Standard answer from Cpanel staff - doesn't work you must live with it.

Yes you can't indeed, but it tells you from the start and you can't use the second computer, not all of them

As for buying a second license but for another IP please tell me how will I manage to solve the DNS propagation, if the first IP falls. I want to have this solution so that downtime would be less than 5 minutes.

#3 octavc, Apr 11, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not in my experience. Those guys are great.

There are plenty of threads on the forums concerning this topic, IIRC. You might poke around and see what you come up with. Anyway you do it though, cPanel has requirements for each server that runs it's software that you must fulfill.