IdentityOffice

Registered
Feb 4, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Is there anyway to recompile the MySQL server on my CentOS cPanel installation to allow me to use 256-bit encryption without breaking anything?

The MySQL website recommends that you remove any current MySQL installations and files before trying to recompile/install the server from binary, I don't want to remove/change anything that will annoy cPanel...

An EasyApache equivalent would be ideal!

Thanks

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

Could you provide the link to the MySQL documentation you have referenced so we can verify the specific change you are attempting to make?

Thank you.

IdentityOffice

Registered
Feb 4, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi

The documentation from the MySQL website is as follows:

MySQL :: MySQL 5.1 Reference Manual :: 2.2 Installing MySQL on Unix/Linux Using Generic Binaries

Warning
If you have previously installed MySQL using your operating system native package management system, such as yum or apt-get, you may experience problems installing using a native binary. Make sure your previous MySQL previous installation has been removed entirely (using your package management system), and that any additional files, such as old versions of your data files, have also been removed. You should also check the existence of configuration files such as /etc/my.cnf or the /etc/mysql directory have been deleted.
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/encryption-functions.html

AES_ENCRYPT() and AES_DECRYPT() enable encryption and decryption of data using the official AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) algorithm, previously known as “Rijndael.” Encoding with a 128-bit key length is used, but you can extend it up to 256 bits by modifying the source. We chose 128 bits because it is much faster and it is secure enough for most purposes.
The exact part of the source you need to modify is:

phpmyadmin - MySql AES_ENCRYPT 256 encryption - Stack Overflow

Thanks

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
I could not find any native support for this with the standard installation of MySQL completed through cPanel. You are welcome to manually build your own version of MySQL, but it's not something we could support. You can open a feature request for this via:

Submit A Feature Request

Thank you.