Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

2nd hard drive - questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kdarray, Apr 3, 2007.

1. kdarray

kdarray Well-Known Member

i had my data center install, format, and mount a second drive on this box. my intention was to eventually replace my backup server. so all i want to do here, is backup accounts to the new drive instead of ftp'ing them to the other box.

problem is that in ssh or whm or anywhere, i cant find the new drive to test, etc. i know you will laugh but like in windows you just change drives from c to d for example. i just cant see that backup drive to i'm sure i cant copy info to it.

fstab does not show it. so if system doesnt think its there, what should i be doing. ftp was alot easier :)

2. david510

david510 Well-Known Member

you can check the 2nd HDs in a server with the command
    fdisk -l
    most probably it will be showing as /dav/sdb1
    make a folder named backup in the / folder.
    mount the backup folder to the 2nd drive partition. assuming the 2nd drive partitions /dev/sdb1 use the following command to mount
    mount /dev/sdb1 /backup

Now configure the backup from the WHM. Put backup destination as /backup and enable backup.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...