Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 Servers DNS Cluster

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Kostas Douvogiannis, Nov 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kostas Douvogiannis

Kostas Douvogiannis Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I would like your help on the following matter. I currently have two servers in dns cluster that replicate dns zones. I need to separate the domains they currently hold and add another dns server to act as a backup for the first two. What i need to do exactly is this (pay attn to the arrows):

+--------------------+
    |whm-server-dns-c |
    +--------------------+
    | |
    | |
    /\ /\
    | |
    +---------------+ +---------------+
    | whm-server-a | | whm-server-b |
    +---------------+ +---------------+

whm-server-a -> will hold domain accounts and dns zones from A-M
    whm-server-b -> will hold domain accounts and dns zones from N-Z
    whm-server-dns-c -> will hold dns zones from whm-server-a & whm-server-b

Note1: Nothing will be written manually to whm-server-dns-c and if something accidentally is written it won't be pushed to the other 2 servers
    Note2: whm-server-a and whm-server-b will not be directly connected and will not exchange any information between them, they will only update whm-server-dns-c

To achieve this i thought of the foll setup. Please correct if me if i'am wrong:

1) I will login to whm-server-dns-c enable dns clustering and add:
    1a) whm-server-a (role write-only) (so that whm-server-a will write any changes made to itself to whm-server-c)
    1b) whm-server-b (role write-only) (so that whm-server-b will write any changes made to itself to whm-server-c)
    2) I will login to whm-server-a enable dns clustering and add:
    2a) whm-server-dns-c (role Standalone) (so that any changes made to whm-server-dns-c will not be pushed back to whm-server-a)
    3) I will login to whm-server-b enable dns clustering and add:
    3a) whm-server-dns-c (role Standalone) (so that any changes made to whm-server-dns-c wll not be pushed back to whm-server-b)

Is the above correct?

Thank you in advance,

// KD

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The recommended DNS Roles are actually the reverse of what's you've posted, if I understand your post correctly. The role configured in WHM on the DNS-Only server should be "Standalone". The role configured in WHM on the hosting servers should be "Write-Only".

The following documents explain how this works:

DNS Cluster - Documentation - cPanel Documentation
    Guide to DNS Cluster Configurations - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Please also consider the comments in the following feature request, as you mentioned separating the two hosting servers:

Ownership and access control of zones in the dns server.

Even with "Write-Only", you can still see all zones under "WHM >> Edit a DNS Zone" in both hosting servers.

Thank you.

3. Kostas Douvogiannis

Kostas Douvogiannis Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So if i understand correctly no matter what the roles are the whm-server-a and whm-server-b the dns zones between these two will be synced. So my best bet is to create a 4th dns server and create two totally separated clusters. correct?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The zones aren't synced, but it's possible for the administrator of one server to see which domain names are created on another server linked to in the same cluster. Creating a separate DNS-Only server for each hosting server would prevent this, yes.

Thank you.