The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

30+ crond processes and coming on large... load 90+

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by internetfab, Jul 16, 2005.

1. internetfab

internetfab Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Been having this problem on a few CentOS 3.4 and 3.5 cpanel boxes. Load suddenly starts going up like crazy and logging in through SSH just hangs after password question.
    We set up big brother monitor and clients so was able to get the result from top command through the client of the server. I was suprised to see all that many crond processes running:

(top shown in the attached txt file since it was too large to post here)

The fun part is that even though load was 90+, accessing web pages was no problem at all - very smooth even and so was WHM. BUT we couldnt log in through SSH and fix or check anything.
    What we did was a forceful reboot (graceful just didnt work or we didnt wait long enough) and now Im upgrading to the latest stable release (10.0.2.0 S83 i think). This is what has been done on the other servers having this exactly same problem - and i cant tell for sure but i think it might have fixed it. This server was running edge 10.0.2.0 E127 before and it had been running it pretty good for a while then suddenly..

Anyone know what could have caused all these crond processes to star?

Attached Files:

• top.txt
      File size:
      27.5 KB
      Views:
    #1 internetfab, Jul 16, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2005
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Have you trawled through all the crontab files to check there's nothing odd in them? including cron.d and the main crontab file.

Also, have you in the past removed the audit.d laus rpm and not done the modules.conf modification to remove the audit module and restarted crond which uses it?

3. Dacsoft

Dacsoft Well-Known Member

I have had the same thing happen 3 times on my CentOs 3.4 server. I have looked at all the crons that are running and can't find any that seems to be causing the problem.