The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3rd Party SMTP Setup

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Alex Woellhaf, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Alex Woellhaf

Alex Woellhaf Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    As per my last thread, I am setting up a 3rd party mail provider for 2 domains (side note: they each have dedicated ips, on my end, as well) Now, I have decided to go with mailgun as their service offers API access as well which is really icing on the cake for me.

I have added their CNAME record but I have not changed SPF or DKIM from my old settings yet. My question is, can I merge the SPF settings (if so, how?) and just add the second DKIM record so I can send both with the 3rd party provider and through cpanel or does it not work like that?

Also, Mailgun's DKIM record looks a little different, Why is that?

Current Cpanel SPF:

"v=spf1 +a +mx +ip4:xxx.xxx.xxx.218 +ip4:xxx.xxx.xxx.222 ~all"

Mailgun Requested SPF:

"v=spf1 include:mailgun.org ~all"

Cpanel DKIM:

default._domainkey | TXT | "v=DKIM1; k=rsa; p=MIIBIjANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQEFAAOCAQ8AMIIBCgKCAQEAtyOMOvAmcSpvB0NzZtemk+9vlW4sLt6WGRS+SxYPmesypq9/PUDJgNH/dZ5nMlxR3YxFouZ9W8e2Y8fWtBx4CnaemRlVIgEOGwDvEG3BeoeEEcXwYzIcqB8Kq3DUcWX423YklmFlLy5dd3k2eLy0uc/0gUnGTCMlC5Ca0ng6hmFOH77Wty6exsVlQXJz9eVH8" jr4qTs7teF7l2rHdtDEDrjwiZW6c+txiwSmrKT+IvLxvHB4ejVN6C/dBXqef7alfpy4xP6SoYN/CVrQmrG+o1DDx39VTdFQ24Xl9FxpomQYA+jx3xvT8M3aSZc/JaaXI/Kc0gQ8SzGhUH/9oUj0GwIDAQAB\;

Mailgun Requested DKIM:

smtp._domainkey | TXT | k=rsa; p=MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQDM75rstQ1r0oiiodG7B3TchQo94nlpm2qWK68bsf2UBwzQmfIP0u/t4Cz9MCVJnknZR4+VJkoVyeariIjBlhuk/1IbUFMhvWAQyAf1j1iIrmmA2xB2TTlwjh1mf3vD0+TW+ABcPrbpEQdYiNO6E5gbPcP7nQKD7TYHqfzkFPCipQIDAQAB

2. Alex Woellhaf

Alex Woellhaf Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I went ahead and added "include:mailgun.org" to right before ~all on my current SPF setting and added the DKIM key and as my gut told me, it works. Is this the "Right" way to do this though?

3. Alex Woellhaf

Alex Woellhaf Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Update: Cpanel support says that is "the right way to do it"

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I'm happy to see you were able to determine which entries to use for SPF/DKIM for your remote mail provider. Thank you for updating us with the outcome.